HybridZ

Silver State Classic Road Race

josh817

Hey guys, just saw this on some TV show and thought it was way cool. I don't have enough money, nor do I even have the time (CVAR race that weekend!) to participate at all.

Basically its a go as fast as you can for 90 miles on an Arizona highway, then they take your time and average speed and place you against others in your class which go by 5mph increments from 95mph to 180mph.

http://www.silverstateclassic.com/318-hwy-event-description.htm

September 17-20, it'd be really cool to see some video of a Z doing it, and not a stock one! Hopefully someone with money and time will participate so I can be happy? :mrgreen:

Edit that: Nevada I think

Hey guys, just saw this on some TV show and thought it was way cool. I don't have enough money, nor do I even have the time (CVAR race that weekend!) to participate at all.

Basically its a go as fast as you can for 90 miles on an Arizona highway, then they take your time and average speed and place you against others in your class which go by 5mph increments from 95mph to 180mph.

http://www.silverstateclassic.com/318-hwy-event-description.htm

September 17-20, it'd be really cool to see some video of a Z doing it, and not a stock one! Hopefully someone with money and time will participate so I can be happy? :mrgreen:

Bummer, I'll be in Spa Francorchamps attending the Old Timer 6 hours Enduro that weekend...

No spectating at Silver State...

Keep that in mind before you drive up there. Only way to spectate is to operate the radio relay for the safety crew, or participate.

Spa and Nurburgring, on the other hand, have stands. And concessions. And beer after the racing day is over!

Oh, a Waffles too!

This is a modified 350Z going flat out at this event when a tire fails!

http://www.car-video-channel.com/videos/102_silver_state_classic_350z_280kmh_crash.html

BTW "Silver State" refers to Nevada. It's 318 between Hiko and Lund.

It harkens back to the Pre-1973 National Speed Limit where Nevada didn't HAVE a speed limit. Many western states were 'safe and prudent'... Most of the time on a clear sunny day you didn't get a second look by Johnnie Law if you weren't cracking triple digits by a significant margin.

Brakes came in handy when you came over a rise, saw a town, and saw there was a municipal speed limit sign posted (and usually a municipal revenue enforcement officer somewhere nearby...)

Can the youngsters even fathom that concept?