Sylv1

Hello

I belong to a french Zclub www.datsun-france.com/portail

We intend to remanufacture a small batch of 6into2 Nismo LHD Race headers :

-stainless

-primaries 1 3/4

-down pipes 2 1/2

-2 possibilities at the moment depending on quantity : made in UK or France

-price <700€ (shipping excluded), could be less if quantity rises...

The Y pipe is not scheduled because very dependant on the application.... but could think about it

I try to evaluate the number of parts to launch... That is why I have the silly question :

Would some of you here be interested in a group buy?

How many?

Please read our rules regarding product research and development and group buys.

A Group Buy is a purchase of an EXISTING product by a number of people with the intent of reducing the per unit price by combining their purchasing power.

We support those kinds of transactions and the Rota wheel buy is one example of it going well, even though there were a few bumps along the way.

What is no longer allowed on HybridZ is Externally Funded Product Development.

This is where a number of people pool their money and fund the development and production of a NON-EXISTENT or HIGHLY MODIFIED item by a third person with the intent of receiving those items after the development and production cycle is completed.

Any threads that solicit funds for Externally Funded Product Development will be deleted immediately and the original poster warned.

sorry!

if it does not match rules of forum, please delete the thread

I am trying to know if we can afford to make 5, 10, 20 pieces?

At the moment, we have 5 in scope that are already ordered; at this quantity, our supplier is in UK near London just above 700€.

You'd have to find someone who really wanted a NISMO knockoff piece. There are other very good alternatives here in the US that sell for considerably less money (Stahl for instance).

A friend of mine had the real NISMO header in stainless. It didn't look like $1000 worth of header to me. I think I offered $250 for it and was refused. I did buy his Mikuni carbs though.

I am interested in your mind about alternative with lower cost and/or at least equal performance.

In your opinion, do you think Stahl 1 3/4 is equal to Nismo 1 3/4?

I have to admit that they are not well know from my side of the ocean. Pleased to learn about it!

Prior to shipping and taxes, Stahl is 910$ as far as I know for mild steel without ceramic coating.

Do I make mistake?

thanks a lot

IMHO, the Stahl header is superior to the Nismo (Nissan Motorsports here in USA) header. Does its superiority justify the additional cost over the Nismo header? For the vast majority of folks building an L6 the answer is no.

But if I was racing and needed that extra little bit to get on the podium or win, the price difference is insignificant.

The Japanese stainless built stainless NISMO header is different than the Nissan Motorsports header in the USA if I remember correctly. Don't hold me to this, because it's been 17 years now, but I thought it was a totally different design with different length larger primaries, but my friend who had one wouldn't shut up about how cool it was and how nobody has one, etc. His main goal with his Z was to be different, just like everyone else.

JDM RHD :

TN-13122008857.jpg

What exactly is this one in your pic? It looks like the primaries could be equal length but other than that, it is similar to a Trust header I have that does fit on a LHD without steering shaft interference. I wonder if you would get a little more interest if the design could be tweeked so this header could fit both RHD & LHD. I have had the one in my pic on a LHD.

trust header_thumb.jpg

What exactly is this one in your pic? It looks like the primaries could be equal length but other than that, it is similar to a Trust header I have that does fit on a LHD without steering shaft interference. I wonder if you would get a little more interest if the design could be tweeked so this header could fit both RHD & LHD. I have had the one in my pic on a LHD.

Thats a JDM Nismo header, only fits RHD as far as I know

oh oh, the black one would be a trust and not a JDM Nismo?

I check asap!

As far as I know, Nismo has 2 different designs

There were at least twelve different L6 tubular exhaust manifold designs produced by Nissan Japan ( 'Nissan Sports' / Nissan Sports Option etc ) before NISMO Japan was created in 1984.

Its worth remembering that the Japanese aftermarket was quite prolific too, and tubular manifolds were made and marketed by many companies ( both small, like 'OK Racing' and 'SS Kubo', and large, like 'FGK' / Fujitsubo Giken and 'Trust' ) and for many different applications, including C10 and C110 Skylines, S130 Fairladies, C130 and C230 Laurels and 230 and 330 Laurels. Anyone buying a used, aftermarket manifold from Japan could easily end up with one of these. Some of them will fit an LHD S30-series Z, and some of them will not......

Like geezer, I think there's a very strong possibility that the black manifold in your pictures is actually a 'Trust' unit - but there have been a few different versions of these over the years.

Here's a Nissan 'Sports Option' manifold that lives in my garage:

Sports-Opt.Tacoashi-2_thumb.jpg

Sports-Opt.Tacoashi-3_thumb.jpg

Sports-Opt.Tacoashi-1_thumb.jpg

That Nismo sports manifold looks very similar to the one I made........I copied, well not an exact copy as I was only working off a picture, but tried to copy the black manifold in the pic above.

It also look the same the the nismo sports one?

DSCF0513_thumb.JPG

Just tested it tonight... yes it fits very well on LHD!

Nice to know!

13122008857.jpg

12072009101.jpg

12072009102.jpg

12072009103.jpg

It sure looked like it would fit, but it is hard to tell from a picture. As far as performance gains of one style over another, I think the difference would prove to be minimal, but from a marketing viewpoint it is a huge advantage to tap both RHD & LHD markets with a single design. Good luck with your venture!