HybridZ

need to bleed out fuel rail?

turbojohnny

on my '77 280 i just replaced the head gasket, it's all back together but when i go to start it i'm not getting fuel to the fire. when i spray starter fluid into the intake it'll run. so i know i hae spark, and i know i have fuel pressure after the fuel filter because when i loosen the hose it'll squirt out.

and info as to why i'm not getting fuel into the cylinder?

do i need to bleed any air out of the fuel rail?

If the FPR is not letting any fuel through, then your fuel pressure would be incredibly high.

Sounds like you may be airlocking your lines (similar to vapor lock). I had this problem for a while on my car whenever I would have to drain the main fuel line and then try to start it. Try disconnecting the return line after the FPR and blowing through it.

Read the paragraph at the very bottom. It mentions air locking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_lock

so reading that bit on wiki, if my engine is air locked i would need to prime my fuel lines? meaning filling them with fuel up to the outlets on the regulator, i've tried constantly turning over the motor to prime them but it hasn't seemed to work.

i have my regulator sitting with some wd-40 in all of the inlets/outlets and the vacuum port on the bottom side of it just in case something is siezed.

also i do have pretty high fuel pressure before the regulator, when i removed it the pressure shot the fuel all the way to the firewall i think there was probably a better way to relieve the pressure, but i wasn't too worried about it at the time.

So, how do you know you have no fuel after the regulator? You need to use a noid light to check for injector pulse. What is the pressure before the regulator? dont tell us "its pretty high". So with the fule line comming from the fuel pump/filter disconected there is fuel FLOW comming out when you turn on the key?

Well then you ned to verify your getting injector pulse. If you are then it sounds to my like too high of a fuel presure is causing too rich of a fuel mixture to fire. You should pull the spark plugs. I suspect they are drenched in fuel. Also if you have spent alot of time trying to start the motor you may have washed down the cylinder walls and may not have any compression left.

THEN YOU DID IT WRONG!!!

The regulator goes after the fuel rail!! If the fuel is getting to the regulator then fuel IS getting to the injectors. On a factory setup. This tells me you connected the lines all wrong somehow......Oh, sounds like you have the fuel feed and return lines backwards. Switchem!!