HybridZ

Re: Tec3 absolete?

Davepping

I have a Brand New Tec3 purple box Stand Alone complete with New Harness, DFU, Trigger Wheel, Mag, and all sensors, etc(everything needed) that I dont really have a use for and was planning on selling, however, I spoke with a few members on different forums who have told me that the TEC3 EMS is old technology and outdated. Is this true? Do you think asking $1500 for the complete Tec3 with everything is way too high? Any opinions or info is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

I don't think those guys know what the heck they are talking about. The Tec3 is far from obsolete.

All thats needed is send it in and have a simple upgrade done to make it the same as the Tec3r, which also is far from obsolete!!

$1,500.... I don't know. I would watch eBay to see what they go for. I bought my Tec3r, with all you are advertising, plus I bought a spare 3 coil DFU, and another complete harness set for less than $1,500, brand new....

Give it a go... see how it goes. You can always lower your price... :)

What Joel said... The TEC3 is far from obsolete in terms of performance, and is probably the best bang for the buck in terms of cost, with no external igniters required. Electromotive's ignition is probably the best/ most powerful I've encountered for a turbocharged car.

Some other ECUs have more features and outputs, but you will find none that offer better performance.

I don't think those guys know what the heck they are talking about. The Tec3 is far from obsolete.

All thats needed is send it in and have a simple upgrade done to make it the same as the Tec3r, which also is far from obsolete!!

$1,500.... I don't know. I would watch eBay to see what they go for. I bought my Tec3r, with all you are advertising, plus I bought a spare 3 coil DFU, and another complete harness set for less than $1,500, brand new....

Give it a go... see how it goes. You can always lower your price... :)

Joel,

Are you sure about your Tec3 to Tec3R comment? I bought a first generation Tec3 for my Z when it first came out. I have talked to Electromotive many times regarding the Tec3 and Tec3R differences. Supposedly it's a complete ECU swap.

Joel,

Are you sure about your Tec3 to Tec3R comment? I bought a first generation Tec3 for my Z when it first came out. I have talked to Electromotive many times regarding the Tec3 and Tec3R differences. Supposedly it's a complete ECU swap.

Hmmm... got me thinking now :redface:. I was under the impression that it was minor differences that could be upgraded easily...

Wasn't the main difference just to do with the idle control? Please don't tell me the Tec3 can't do sequential, and the Tec3r can... that would really prove me wrong... :D

Please, if I'm not correct on this, forgive me and let's get the right info posted!!

Hmmm... got me thinking now :redface:. I was under the impression that it was minor differences that could be upgraded easily...

Wasn't the main difference just to do with the idle control? Please don't tell me the Tec3 can't do sequential, and the Tec3r can... that would really prove me wrong... :D

Please, if I'm not correct on this, forgive me and let's get the right info posted!!

My Tec3 can do full sequential with a cam trigger. I'm not sure what I would have to do with the coils. My understanding (no references to back this up) is that the Tec3R has improved starting fixes, better IAC support and no longer had an internal ECU fan.

My Tec3 can do full sequential with a cam trigger. I'm not sure what I would have to do with the coils.

All you'd have to do is wire the injs differently, and add a cam trigger. I'm running full sequential.

Edit: Sorry, can't remember now if I had to do any changes to the DFU wiring to go full seq.