HybridZ

Car won't go into gear with the return spring on

b16d8dd4

Ok, so this is my first Z and I just replaced the clutch master and slave cylinder. I have adjusted the nut on the pushrod as the Haynes manual says to. I have also adjusted it the other way. With the engine on, I am able to put the car into gear. But as soon as I attach the return spring I can no longer put it into gear. I'd appreciate any help.

these may be stupid questions, but...

Did you replace the clutch soft line? If not, are there any leaks anywhere? Cracked hard line?

Did you bleed the system?

Did you remember to tighten all the bleeders?...Forgot that once...

~Bob

A: What year/model/transmission

B: this should be posted in the appropriate model subforum, either S30 or S130, or possibly Drivetrain, not L6 Engine. Not trying to be a jerk, just pointing out the specific role of each subforum.

If your talking about the spring on the slave cylinder, you probly don't need it. I replaced my slave cylinder a few months ago and with the spring attached the clutch felt weak no matter how many times I tried to bleed it. I took the spring off to check something out and the push-rod slid out a bit and the clutch felt great. Car has shifted fine ever since. That spring was overpowering the slave cylinder and apparently isn't needed.

Its a 71 240z, L28 5speed. I didn't replace any lines, just the clutch master and slave cylinder. I don't see any leaks anywhere and I did bleed it but maybe I need to do it again. Everything seems to work fine without the return spring but I just figured since its there, it should be connected. Sorry for having it in the wrong forum. If an admin could move it, I'd appreciate it.