HybridZ

Devilbiss plus VS Iwata Lhp-400!!! which is a better gun?

chrism

im looking to get a nice finish gun.. which is an all around better deal?

the devilbiss plus comes with 3 tips . 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4 (ill most likely only use the 1.4)

the devilbiss plus (from what i hear) can lay down clear like the sata 2000s, but they arent hvlp.

the Iwata lph-400 cost a little more (id prob buy a used one) but i hear nothing but fantastic things about this gun.

anyone on here have any experience with these 2 particular guns that can fill me in on their pros and cons? thanks!!

i use devilbiss guns for everyting(primer, base, clear, flake, special effects, etc.). ive had a number of different guns, from the chepest of the cheep to the crazy expensive and in my opinon the only thing that makes a difference is the ability of the person doing the painting. theres nothing you can do with a high end gun that cant be done with somthing more economical, especially if you have experience painting. ive painted numerous cars and bikes with a $99 set of devilbiss hvlp guns. no point in blowing money on somthing if its not going to turn out better results.

i know i havent exactly answered your question, but in my opion. buy a cheep gun. i do recomend devilbiss. they make a realy good gun.

I agree with everything TexasStyle said. I've got a Devilbiss suction for primer and an HVLP gun to shoot clear/color. The guns throw down an excellent paint job and do everything I could ask for in a gun. I am currently doing body work on a 61GMC truck for a local Doctor around here and he insists I use his Iwata guns. I honestly cant really tell the difference besides the money. The Handling is a little different, not better or worse, just different. But as far as paint quality goes, I can probably do 99.5%as good a job with my Devilbiss guns and actually have enough money left over to but the paint to spray through it!

just ordered the devilbiss plus (cost 289 shipped) comes with the 2 other tips (i hear 1.3 is good for base)

going to HF for a cheap primer gun... i have 4 cars right now to paint so im sure the gun will pay for its self

I just ordered the Devilbiss plus(GFG-670). I have sprayed lots of primer with my harbor freight gun. There guns are CHEAP and the one I have came with a 1.8 tip which sprays the primer on thick.

I have used a Sata before to paint a hood and bumper. Other then that, I havent painted anything. I am painting a friends truck when my new gun comes in and Ill let you know how it turns out(from a beginners point of view).

I really think you guys wont be disappointed! I've used my Devilbiss guns ever since I started throwing paint down and even when I started when I took it slow it was super easy to produce a nice even coat of paint.

Hope these guns work great for you guys.

I personally love the Iwata's for clear.I use the lvlp for clear.These guns are really good for a fancy clear job.I tipically use the hvlp iwata or sata digital RP for matching oem factory clear finishes.Gives the clear a lil more texture.Ford GM for example.But i always use an hvlp for base coats that are metallic.The iwata lvlp sucks for high metallics in my opinion.Go sata or iwata HVLP.For you i would just recomend the HVLP iwata for an all around good base/clear gun.Not terribly expensive.May ask what paint you are spraying?

Mine just came in the mail the other day and I sprayed a small panel to try it out. This was my second time ever spraying paint. It turned out GREAT! This is my second time painting, first time using the Devilbiss Plus. Obviously I am no expert so the credit has to go to the gun. Almost no Orange peel.

paintpractice004.jpg

I use my HF purple for primer. I have seen pictures of some REALLY good paint jobs coming from the HF cheap gun. If your on a budget, I say go for it! Learn to wetsand and buff, then shoot a single stage non metallic, or base and clear. You wont get a showroom quality paint job but if you learn to adjust the gun right, you can have a good finish.

I've had very good luck if you want a cheap decent gun with the transtar's 120 a piece. They are even available in LVLP so they are great for the garage painter were you may not have 15 cfm available to paint an entire car with the Sata's

You wont be dissapointed with either an Iwata or Sata, but if your not painting alot i wouldn't spend that much coin.

Really the only difference between the cheap guns and expensive guns is that the expensives ones are designed for heavy use and better color matching than the cheapies. You can spray a good paint job with either, but If you have to do color matching professionaly then Sata is top.

I have a couple Sata's and the Iwata LPH-400. Its a totally different animal but it lays out paint and clear like glass. Now for your occasional paint job, the Devilbiss 670 is a great gun as well. A buddy just bought the cheap finish line gun and it does a nice job as well.