HybridZ

Opinions on a backfire plagued 260Z

I don't personally own the car, so details are going to be thin right now (I'm going to try to give the guy a call tomorow to try and find more out about the car, so I should have some more details then). I'm lookin to get a S30 to drive around for a few months until I can afford a down payment on a newer car as a daily driver, at which point my S30 will become a project car (that is another thread of course lol).

Unfortunatly, the one I am looking at (I only have 2000 dollars to spend on the car right now, so I'm not looking for a pristine condition car) has a pretty serious backfiring issue. Like I said, I need to get some information on exactly what is going on with the car, but aparantly the carb and intake manifold have been replaced, and thats not helping aparantly. He hasn't identified what is wrong with the car (he thinks the distributor is the issue, but who knows). My question is, is the car worth it for $1200?? It's got a black primer paint job (which is ok, being I plan on painting the car myself eventually) and the interior is in at least decent shape. Should the extra $800 be enough to get the car up and runnin again (I should have more than that if need be, but I'd prefer not to spend too much money tryin to get the car in decent running condition). Any opinions would be great =)

*edit* and sorry about my name...im not sure what I was thinking when I chose it (its too....idk i dont like it lol) I usually go by mike831 (if there is any way to change this, let me know please =P)

We need more information as it could be many different things. There is a good chance though that it has to do with the timing. $1200 isn't a bad price if the car is in good shape overall. The biggest thing that will cost you is rust. I would inspect the car well, if its rust free and you have the time to fix it. I say go for it.

We need more information as it could be many different things. There is a good chance though that it has to do with the timing. $1200 isn't a bad price if the car is in good shape overall. The biggest thing that will cost you is rust. I would inspect the car well, if its rust free and you have the time to fix it. I say go for it.

yeah I know rust is one of the big things (I learned that with the car I currently have, a 1966 Porsche 912...the carpeting hid all the rust...as in in entire floor pan, rear seat area and even the deck behind the rear seats is all rusted out....thankfully the parts that came worth the car make up for what I paid for the car, and is how I am getting the money to work on a Datsun. But yes I know very well to make sure about rust with older cars).

And yeah, I know the backfiring issues could be many things, I'm just hoping that it isn't some serious problem that would cost thousands to fix. I'll be giving him a call later today, and from what I can tell in the pictures of the car, it doesn't appear to have many issues with rust (though im expecting some in the normal places, especially the battery tray).