Is anyone else cramped under their car?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

b40528965.jpg

Ex-member OlderThanMe. :)

what ever happened to him anyway?

And I've been thinking of solving the no room problem by getting a set of those metal car stands from one of the many dealerships that is going under around here. Get a pair that raise the car a foot or so off the ground, should be more than enough so long as I don't have to mess with the tires/brakes/etc

• 6 months later...
Sad somewhat related news. I had a coworker pass away this week because of Jack failure causing the car he was working on to crush him with no one around. No joke. Funeral was yesterday.

Whatever you do. Be safe.

that is a far more frequent occurrence than most people believe it to be.

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26

RedneckJackStands.jpg

IF you would rather spend time bench pressing your car or truck occasionally, and don,t mind loss of a few fingers, or a broken leg or back, .....follow this numbskulls example.

a good yank on a wrench, a friend leaning on the truck, a stiff breeze, ETC. and hes going to be in a world of trouble.

"1: why 12 ton? Ain't 6 ton more than enough?

2: how do you jack up the car? do you enroll your wife?

3: what floor jack do you use? Prices vary quite a bit?"

(1)

the

12 ton are BOTH FAR MORE STABILE from tipping or the car shifting, AND on the first notch they are exactly the correct height to allow comfortably accessing the under side of the car, place the 6 ton next to a 12 ton and raise both to the height of the 12 ton stands on the first notch, theres absolutely no comparison in your safety under the car, THERES ABSOLUTELY NO WAY YOU CAN COMPARE THE DEGREE OF STABILITY THE LARGER BASE AND STRONGER MATERIALS THE 12 TON STANDS PROVIDE

(2)OK first you DON,T raise a vette one corner at a time! you drive it up on the ramps to get clearance for the jack then slide the floor jack under the center of the front (CROSS MEMBER) and lift the front and place BOTH front 12 ton jack stands, under the frame , wide spaced, then the angle allows you to either use a second floor jack or move the front floor jack to the rear of the vette, and lift the whole back and place both REAR 12 ton jack stands, on the rear frame. now personally I usually leave the rear jack stands and the jack holding the rear up ,and the 12 ton jack stands on the front with the tires hanging just above the ramps, that way theres almost no chance the vette can fall, even if some component were to fail.

Ill ALSO point out I have and have always used two floor jacks, twin rino ramps and 4 12 ton jack stand WHEN I was under the corvette as I don,t want to be doing bench presses with a vette!:WTF

(3)theres several deals available, and the quality varies wildly, youll need to shop, http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200345429_200345429

this jack looks good in the info they posted, but if you can afford it ID buy two, so you can jack the frame with a buddies help with minimal frame twist.

I have two craftsman floor jacks and while they have worked well for years Id more than likely have purchased those if Id known about them at the time I bought them

Edited by grumpyvette