HybridZ

Vapor Lock Issues/Remedies

Adam393

Since the two years this car has been on the road, Ive never had issues with the engine until this summer. It started off with the engine stumbling from idle and now has progressed to dying at idle, stumbling when downshifting, and maybe 1 or 2 things I cant remember now. My mechanic has diagnosed it as vapor lock so far, and my dad and I have done some things to counteract it. This is a car that is driven spring-autumn, so I doesnt see terribly cold weather, so I wouldnt recommend these for those who do drive it in cold weather. First off, we have the early orange airbox, and underneath that is a pipe where the intake sucks up the hot air from the exhaust to help heat up the carbs. We took off the hose and my dad found that Edge shaving cream cap fits perfectly and snugly on the end of that bottom pipe, the orange also almost perfectly matches! (You do have to trim off the safety clip though). Next what we did was put a plug in the water coolant line that leads to the carb. As of now, the car runs better when warm, i dont have to use the choke all the time and the engine revs up better. But once the engine is hot, the gremlins come up in full force, next up is heat reflecting tape for the fuel lines, hopefully that comes in soon. Do any of you guys have other suggestions that might help?

The carb insulators(gasket/spacers) used to blow out. They would spit out part of the gasket causing a air(vacuum) leak. I used to use a dentists mirror to inspect the bottom of the insulators. Hope this helps.

John

Funny you mention the timeline.

I've noticed that both of my L engine (both injected though) have started experiencing vapor lock issues after a hot soak of about 10 minutes.

This started in both cars at the same time and I can estimate it started about 11 months ago.

I'm wondering if the gasoline blends were changed at that time.

I'm in florida.

Ive always run 93, but I put in the fuel injector cleaner every time i change the oil, and my mechanic told me that can foul my plugs. My dad has a bead blaster attachment on his air compressor to clean off spark plugs, used that and it helped. Put in new ones tonight and it runs like a dream again! It must have been really fouled up plugs or something, but it does run a little bit better now that we prevented so much heat getting to the carbs (i didnt end up wrapping the lines, I dont like the way any car looks with the tape on it)...

Adam:

As I can make up from the story, you have to use the choke alot of times, this means your mixture is to lean. This can cause also the plugs to wear out.

I advice to check your carbs again ( take em off, clean and rebuild with new gaskets ). 93 fuel is okay, so is 91. L24 engine doesn't run high compression ratio.