HybridZ

Is it alright to have my alternator wired like this?

CamH

I have been having some massive issues with the wiring (and charging systems) in my car. I am trying to bypass as much of the factory wiring as possible.

Right now, I have the alternator wired up like this:

altm.jpg

and it works! (finally)

My question is, can I have it wired like this (temporarily?)

Also, what would be a good solution for getting rid of the white with black wire?

The way you have the field wire unswitched will not work. The car will charge like you said, but when you turn the car off the field of the alternator will still be hot. You will drain your battery down over time and may burn out the regulator. The field wire does need to be a switched connection.

The way you have the field wire unswitched will not work. The car will charge like you said, but when you turn the car off the field of the alternator will still be hot. You will drain your battery down over time and may burn out the regulator. The field wire does need to be a switched connection.

Thank you for your reply. Any switched source should do, right?

Also, do you have any recommendations for replacing the white with black wire? Any way to run it to somewhere besides the factory set up?

What I ended up doing was to run a #4 wire from the battery terminal of the alternator to the starter log connected to the battery. The black/white wire nissan used was good for a stock application, but if you draw excessive current from the battery the wire and connectors cant handle the current draw.

So I left the stock wire connected and added the large wire to effectively bypass the stock part of the system, but it is still functional.

A good standard nissan relay, if used will work just fine, or a simple wire from the ignition switch will work also.