HybridZ

Modifying the stock Manifold rb25det

rayaapp2

Do you guys have any opinions about this?

I mocked it up and had a acquaintance lathe and weld it up.

Im not sure if Im actually going to use it. It looks good and accepts the stock throttle body. I was going to use the Q45 Throttle body, but I couldnt fit a 4" tube on the manifold without serious work.

I was thinking about bolting it up and strapping the car down to the dyno to see if it helps or hurts the torque. Though i cant imagine this being any better than the stock position.

P1010246.JPG

P1010247.JPG

P1010248.JPG

P1010249.JPG

The real potential problem is uneven air distrubution because of the forward facing throttle body. This is a problem with any FF manifold though.

IMO, a custom plenum bolted to the runners would be great though.

Not sure what to tell you, it might be okay. You won't be picking up any HP I am sure.

If it allows you to retain the factory idle air control devices and lets you position a front mount intercooler easier, I say go for it.

you probably won't lose enough horsepower to even notice if it's a flawed design, but the ease of install for an FMIC makes up for that.

Small world

I had a go at exactly the same thing today

th_90b47e72.jpg th_a0bc737d.jpg th_8fd0c65d.jpg

Cut n shut another part of the inlet trunk to extend the tbh away from the plenum like yours

Haven't gone for a straight in feed like yours but offset

Now need to get the lot bolted back on to check me angles then get it all welded up

Will post some more pics when done

Far from done, but Im cookin in the Sacramento Sun. I dont think I have enough piping to button it up so it'll end up back the way it was for a while.

P1010250.JPG

P1010251.JPG

P1010252.JPG

P1010253.JPG

The pictures are 2 dimensions, there is a bit more room to fit intercooler pipe than it looks like between the throttle body and the radiator. Though there is much. Its going to be a tight fit.

Ray

P1010255.JPG

P1010254.JPG

P1010256.JPG

Im running out of piping and couplers are gone so Im resorting to tape to mock it up.

Any idea where to get 3" couplers made from high quality(example of low quality "SPECTRE") Silicone. I wish I could find the Greddy stuff. Also I cant find 15 or 30 degree bends... Strange as most intercooler pipe manufactures will specify a 15 degree or less bend or reducer/expander. 15 degrees seems to be a general rule of thumb and i cannot find bends in that degree.

Whether or not i go this route I plan on keeping the intercooler. With this intercooler I am unsure how to mount the AC fan. Well with any intercooler up there Im not sure how to mount such a fan. Any ideas? Is it ok to put a fan over the intercooler to get to the condenser?

Edited by rayaapp2
IGNORE the Kragen special filter please!!!

...I may be wrong but shouldn't the dump valve be on the other side?

ie cold side and closer to the throttle body ?

I asked around about that and couldnt get a straight answer. Most said it doesnt matter where it goes. I could put it on the other side with a little more work. Im not sure the Greddy Valve in the picture will actually function correctly with stock boost. It wont adjust low enough and I dont have another spring to put in there. So I may have to rethink the BOV completely or just get over it and turn up the boost till that BOV will work.

Well as you can see by the pictures I am short a bunch of fittings and piping.

Seems like the consensus from people on other forums is that this manifold will work just fine on a stock or close to stock RB25det with no problems.

Its a tight fit with the 200sx radiator, and shouldn't be a problem with the other radiators that mount the hose on a side tank like most aftermarket installs do with this swap. I think Ive come to the end of the line with this manifold. The gap in cash for all the piping and fittings is too much for me at this time. I have 68 2000 to get done by Sept 09 and it still needs media blasted and the frame is almost ready for powder coat. So my funds are pouring into that car at this time.

If someone wants to pickup where I left off Im looking at selling the manifold for what I have into it... which is too much, but it satisfied my curiosity. If not it can collect dust in my garage like a lot of other things.

I think Ive come to the end of the line with this manifold.

Keep at it m8 as its almost there

This idea uses way less pipe then the stock setup so should be easier to install n finish.

It also makes better use of the larger cross flow intercooler !

Apart from a few bits of pipe its there

Also when fully polished it looks better to boot !

Putting it all back to where I was a few days ago and running,

Working on

P1010257.JPG

P1010258.JPG

P1010259.JPG

P1010260.JPG

P1010261.JPG

1968 2000. The body is hovering 3' above the pictures and still needs me to replace the passenger side door pillar as it is rusted out.

P1120010.jpg

P1010162.jpg

Its my wifes car and she says I have to get focused on it so it will be done in time. If I would have jumped on it earlier I could have been ready for the car shows in mid August that take place around Carmel/Pacifc Grove/Monterey.