HybridZ

K&N housing

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ack.

I have an 83zx and I really dont feel as if the air filter housing is any good. It seems horribly restraining....

Has anyone taken out that horrible thing and made some sort of conversion to fit a K&N cone filter and allow more in to come in...

hmm?

Ack..I dont know what I'm talkin about, but if anyone does help me out. icon_biggrin.gif Thanks!

You can convert just about anything. Before you start cutting, make a diagram of what you want and then "measure twice, cut once."

A K&N setup has never hurt power. I for one, am a big proponent of the filters-I know they made a big breathing improvement on my 260Z. HTH icon_smile.gif

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Thanks ^_^

I'll look into both.

Your car looks great Owen. Seems like you put a lot of work into it. Makes me want to go outside right now and get to work...even if it's puring rain...maybe icon_razz.gif ...

Thanks a lot

Brad, the Mustang guys are running them like mad with no apparent ill effects. I DO know that when you clean them you have to be careful not to go nuts with the oil though. Several other companies have come out with K&N style fitlers including Holley - I've not seen any filtration or flow tests on them though.

K&N makes a WIDE variety of cone type filters as do some of the other companies. Some of the other companies have filteration right to the tip with an inverted cone on the end, K&N hasn't done this that I've seen. Look at the import stuff, Holley's filters, and at the MustangLightning setups to find the cones. My friend's shop sells them by the boatload but they're not K&N. If you get really stuck finding one I can try to get a price etc. as well as measurements. Lemme' know...

Guest Anonymous

Wow.

Comforting to know others have under taken this venture.

My 83 is N/A but I'm oing turbo as soon as I get $$$.

Does the cold air intake create a noticable differnce?

• 4 weeks later...

I came across a simple easy and cheap way to convert a L6 Z (turbo or NA) to a K&N cone, first get your hands on the plastic air intake tubes from a 1st generation NA 300zx the small "elbow" piece is a perfect fit for the rubber on the front of the AFM on a L28 and then the K&N filter can be attatched to the other end in front of the rad. (of course you'll have to plug up the "T's" that branch out from that part) What I am gonna do however is use the long tube.. I am going to connect it to the rubber boot of the air intake side of my L28t (between the AFM and the turbo) That air tube from the 300zx is the right length, diameter and shape to run up to the opening in the rad cradle and take a 90 degree turn on other side of the rad.. there I will mount my AFM (need to make a bracket for that) Then the factory rubber that connects the turbo AFM to that air cleaner I'll use to connect a K&N cone filter. No, I haven't actually hooked it all up yet but I have placed them out and it all seems to measure up and fit in place just fine. It actually looks like it was made for it! I hope I explained all that well enough for anyone that is interested. If I didn't let me know and I'll try and explain it better.. (right now I am tired and ready for bed so I might not have been clear)

"Does the cold air intake create a noticable difference?"

Cold air, opened up exhaust from horizontal leg of OEM manifold will help. Opening up OEM AFM helps a bit along with richening it(2 notches was my optimum) and about 14 degrees initial timing was my experience...that and the highest numerical rear gears (up to 4.11's)you can find which was 3.9's back in 94/95 when I had OEM powertrain. (I had 3.36's OEM, you'd have 3.7's or 3.9's likely).

PS if budget is very tight just swapping in a 280ZXT filter housing can be an 'upgrade', that's all I did at the time for air housing mods, much taller filter and larger inlet. I had to 'open up' the inlet hose opening on my drivers front headlamp bucket or v. close to that to fit the turbo hose FWIW.

quote:

Originally posted by FTSzero:

Sounds great. If you can I'd like to see pics as soon as you get it done. About how much money did you think this all cost you?

Well like I said, I haven't actually put it all together yet. I still have my NA engine in the car. How much did it cost? well here in Canada I beleive it is about $80 for the filter? and the plumbing from the 300zx was given to me. To put a system on your 83zx I would grab that little elbow piece from a wrecker with all the clamps and I believe there is a boot on it as well, buy yourself a k&n cone filter and your set.

[ October 25, 2001: Message edited by: GrayZee ]

Oh and about the pics.. when I get the turbo engine in there I'll post them for everybody, but don't hold your breath.. it could take awhile. Someone cut me off and I smashed up the nose of the car so that has gotta be fixed. Upon inspecting the damage we saw that it is starting to rust under the frame where the crossmember bolts on. So basically the engine, crossmember and at that point.. why not the whole front end, have gotta come out! Might as well renew all the bushings, paint under the hood, and spray some undercoating.. Replace the old engine with the turbo.. do some wiring.. I also gotta replace the bumpers with some 240 bumpers that Drax sent me.. and I still haven't done anthing to the engine I bought from the wreckers in April! *Sigh* I think I feel a headache coming on.. Can you say.. "WINTER PROJECT"?