HybridZ

California 280Z owners...(other than '75)

dhp123166

I'll be looking forward to that swap, are you going to turbo it or get it to run on biodiesel?

Turbo for sure (probably the same time I swap the engine in. the 280ZXT Manis bolt up with a little bit of dremel fun). Biodiesel should be fine anyway, but I won't be running it on WVO (what I think you're asking about).

i'm pretty sure that it doesn't matter what engine you throw in. as long as it's a car that was made after 1975, it will need to pass smog. even if the engine doesn't need to pass smog, you'll have get it verified by the state referee.

Unless it's a diesel ;)

But yes, I will need to get the BAR to sign off on it being a diesel, and thus not requiring smog.

Quick question for you CA guys (since I may be moving out there in a year or two)

When you do a swap in your post 75 Datsun, does it have to pass smog for the year of the chassis or the year of the engine?

Quick question for you CA guys (since I may be moving out there in a year or two)

When you do a swap in your post 75 Datsun, does it have to pass smog for the year of the chassis or the year of the engine?

This is the last I will post about CA emissions in this thread. It is moving away from the OP's apparent thought of what the topic should have been.

Certification Standards

Make sure the engine and emission control configuration on exhaust – controlled vehicles are certified to the year of the vehicle or newer, and to the same or a more stringent new vehicle certification standard.

Where I found the above statement.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/07_AutoRepair/Engine_Change_Guidelines.html