HybridZ

Trans cooler, for oil cooling?

big-phil

In "most" cases its OK to use a cooler for engine or transmission oil. Some coolers designed for transmissions have internal vanes or fins that create too big a pressure drop for the engine oiling system. This is especially true if a 30W or a 20W-50 engine oil is used.

My dad had a stack of good used tranny coolers, and I am using one as an engine oil cooler on my Suburban. I made sure to select a stacked plate cooler with sufficiently large input and output holes. I'm running 1/2" flexible cooler line into appropriately sized barb adapters because I didn't want the cooler itself to be a restriction and possibly raise the oil pressure or put more strain on the oil pump to push it through a smaller orifice. At least that's my hypothetical thinking on the subject.

In "most" cases its OK to use a cooler for engine or transmission oil. Some coolers designed for transmissions have internal vanes or fins that create too big a pressure drop for the engine oiling system. This is especially true if a 30W or a 20W-50 engine oil is used.

I'll see if I can tell if it has internal vanes. I use only Royal Purple 15w40