HybridZ

Front to rear weight ratio info wanted for 5.0

I'm looking for info on front to rear weight ratio and dimensions from the front spindle centerline to a datum on the engine block or stock engine mount for a 5.0 H.O. with stock T-5. Right now this is a stock bodied car.

I'll keep searching, but haven't found what I'm looking for yet.

Thanks for any info.

Waddiejohn

• 5 weeks later...

there is a book called " jegs that run" or jtr. it shows a person how to install a chev v8 into a z, most of what is written in that book will apply to any v8. In it, it talks about front to back weight distrobution. If i remember right, installing a v8 per that book, the weight distrobution will remain stock or mostly stock. Buy the book, its definetly worth the money no matter what v8 you will install. I hope that answered your question.

Snork, thanks for the reply. I actually did read JTR's book some time ago, but was hoping for some specific numbers from people that had the Ford 5.0 and their engine location relative to some point on the car.

Blue Oval would have been a good input, but he doesn't seem to come here any more.

Even though it says it would stay roughly stock in that book, that book is based on the Chevy V8 which is proven to be a lot heavier than a Ford V8.

For starters, if I remember right I believe 74_5.0L_Z got close to 45/55. I don't know his exact modifications but I know it was a tube front end with a modified Subtle Z body kit.

If you are starting from scratch, here are two things that I would do differently:

1. Install the engine offset slightly to the passenger (right)side. My engine is centered left to right. This will help even out the left/right balance of the car and reduce the driveshaft angle (the nose of the differential is offset to the right).

2. Move the front crossmember forward ~1". This allows the sump of the oilpan to drop easily behind the crossmember and provides a significant caster increase. You can only really do this if you have camber plates installed.

I would keep the front to rear and up and down position the same as I already have it. The driver's side head is 1" from the firewall, and the centerline of the crankshaft is even with the top of the front frame rails (at the front of the engine). Also the engine is installed at an angle of 2.5* (transmission tail lower than the nose of the crankshaft).

Yes, the front frame rails were my reference.

The angle that I used was kind of arbitrary. It just worked out that installing the engine at that angle provided the best clearance (at the time the car was originally built). I had to adjust the angle of the differential to match.

Ok, good deal of info here. I'd about given up on any response, but the wait was worth it. Glad you mentioned the engine offset as I would have set it up centered too. I guess most humans like symmetry.

I sure appreciate your efforts and response.

Waddie