HybridZ

Toyota MR2 clutch.. my own personal hell.. help

Guys, i just put a 91 MR2 back together with a new clutch in it. Now the old one kinda blew apart and there was no pilot bearing in there. When I recieved my new clutch, it came with a pilot bearing and i installed it. Not the easiest thing, but not too bad either.

Heres my problem, The car now wont turn over. The starter tries to spin everything but the flywheel only moves like 1/16 of an inch and pops back. I have NO idea whats going on, but it seems like somethings binding. The gearshifter wont allow me to shift anymore either... I cant figure out whether the problem is related to the "mystery" pilot bearing or something else. If you guys have done an MR2 clutch, or can offer some insight I would greatly apreciate it.

Thanks - Evan

PS... ill never own an MR2.. icon_mad.gif

Never done a MR2 clutch but you'd think that if the transmission fitted up ok the pilot bearing couldn't be too tight. But on the other hand if you had to pull it in using the bolts....... Then again, if its in neutral a binding pilot bearing should not stop the engine from spinning over, it will only make it difficult for the clutch to disengage?

Tried disengaging the clutch when attempting to spin the engine over?

Sorry for the double post, but it just occurred to me that the starter may be jammed. Try rocking the engine at the crankshaft pulley.

The stuck shifter indicates that the trans may be loaded up, too. This could be caused by a jammed starter, or, perhaps by a jammed pilot bearing that, possibly, has caused the starter to jam.

Anyway, best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Evan, have you tried to rotate the engine from the crank pulley (put a wrench on it, and have the rear wheels off the ground) with the trans in neutral, and then with the clutch pushed in? If it won't budge, then I think something is wedged between the flywheel and the block, because the engine is obviously being held by the flywheel. If it won't turn, then it's time to pull the engine and trans apart again and find out what's binding it.

I hate to hear you say negative things about the 91 MR2, I think it's the finest reasonably priced mid-engine sports car out there. I love my '91 MR2, I like it even better than the '85 and '89SC MR2's I've had. My '91 is my daily driver (it will need a clutch soon, too) and my '75 347V8 280z is my weekend fun machine.

Good luck, that's the bad thing about transverse engined cars, you have to pull everything to get at the clutch.

I got it fixed, i guess the motor was NOT supposed to use a pilot bearing. They sent one with the kit and I installed it. I guess its partly my fault.

I have no problem with the MR2, im just sick of working on this car! Its also too small for me, my feet get stuck under the dash.

Thanks for the assistance - Evan

Guest Anonymous

I'm 6'3" and have no problem with the leg room, although the headroom is a little tight, that is why I would like to find a '91 MR2 solid roof (without a t-top or sunroof). Hey Evan, if yours is a solid roof? I might buy it from you if you want to sell.

ANYWAY, we should not tie up the HybridZ forum with MR2 questions. For the MR2 forum go to this link: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/f446/