HybridZ

Need feedback on Rebello head problems

Calgary280ZT

"Rough" is a terribly subjective term.

When people dealing with mechanical seals lapping start talking about a 'rough' surface, it's a couple of heliup light bands of surface irregularity.

On an aluminum head, like Bryan mentions (insert machinist call out mark) 125 is good general number to the composition grabs. A metal gasket may need something finer, but that is dependent on the gasket manufacturer's recommendations and what sealant they have on the laminate shimpacks.

There are all sorts of things you can do to keep that gasket from walking. But when it comes down to it, the gasket manufacturer's recommendations rule the day.

If you weren't having a problem with it in 400 miles, likely nothing is wrong with the surface finish.

Then again, saying that doesn't get a $100 planing job out of you, either...

I am glad to read that this looks as if it will be resolved happily.

But I am surprised I am in the minority in thinking Calgary Z did everything right!

If I was 2500km away in another country and I had a problem, I would at least have a local expert have a look. Not necessarily work on it, but have a look. For many reasons, the main one being having the information to tell Dave Rebello when he asks what went wrong.

IMO, the only guy who should feel put out in this scenaro is the first shop in Calgary, cuz he won't get his big job out of this. Sounds like he deserved to be let go though.