HybridZ

gauges into 75-78 Zs

Guest dankinzle

Guest dankinzle

I finally got around to installing some autometer gauges into the datsun, and what a field day it's been. I thought I'd be able to adapt something for the tach and speedo, but givin my time I just ended up doing the ol' silicone trick. It holds a lot more solid than I thought it would.

Has anyone installed the smaller 2 5/8" gauges into later Zs? I went into the car expecting to do it like blkmgk's but behold it's different. I have a 75 and it doesn't really bolt in to anything, there's just a cradle. Maybe I'll take some pics later. What have you guys done for these gauges?

In my 77 Z I replaced the clock w/ a 2 5/8 boost gauge by just using the clock housing and drilling a couple of holes in it for the boost gauge outlet and light. Since I used the stock housing, it bolted right back in where it came from. Mike

I replaced the three gauges in the stock Datsun pod with Autometer 2 5/8 gauges. It's actually quite easy, once you can get to everything.

The trick I found, was to use as much of the OEM mounting hardware as possible. The Autometer gagues were not as deep as the Datsun ones, so I had to "wedge" some pieces of cardboard between the new gauges and the mounting strap in back. I suppose you could use rubber, or plain paper if you wanted. Be creative, that's what we are all about.

Zgauges.jpg

Click here if picture doesn't load

witeface.jpg

Click here if picture doesn't load

2.5 PSI of fuel pressure (top picture only) and Z-E-R-O oil pressure icon_eek.gif

Actually, the stupid isolator for the fuel pressure gauges needs to be bled every year. As you can clearly see, I never got around to it this summer. Also, I think it's pretty cheap of autometer to not put some sort of power diode in their tachs to get the needle to rest a zero when the ignition is off.

Thanks for the kind words.

-Andy

I did this swap as well, I used a piece of styrofoam insulation. I used a knife to cut it to the desired shape and made a spacer from it. Then I wrapped them with electrical tape to keep any flakes from getting into the vents. It was easy, cheap, and turned out really good! icon_smile.gif

Oh, I also had to poke a hole through the center to make way for the oil line/capillary tubes.