HybridZ

Electrical Porlem- Short to ground somewhere

Hello,

So, following a heavy rain last night, my 76 280z wouldn't start this morning. Basically, anytime a draw (including turning the key to any position or just the dome light coming on when the door is open) is placed on the battery the in dash voltmeter drops to 8, then continues to fall until zero volts. So far, when I turn of off the draw (say by closing the door) the volts will go back to 8 then slowly raise to 12. The car obviously won't start like this.

I tried taking all the fuses out and the problem persisted, indicating to me that the problem is before the fuse box.

I'm sure this is related to the moisture from the rain. I'm a bit stumped, though, that there could be a short to ground which only drains the battery when another draw is placed. Electrical diagnosis is not my specialty, I took a class at the local Vocational but I'm hoping someone can direct me to a likely problem or a good diagnostic procedure. Until then I'll be checking connections.

Thanks for any possible help.

Max-

Ever get your problem solved? If not, check if there's moisture inside your distributor. Very possible after a heavy rainfall, and can easily cause the motor to stumble and run poorly. Fortunately, very easy to solve -- best technique I've found is to pop the distributor cap and thoroughly blow out the internals with compressed air.

Good luck and happy motoring!

jhm