HybridZ

anyone know anything about cowl induction setups?

Guest Anonymous

What exactly would you like to know?

I'll explain the basics in hopes that i answer your question(s).

Cowl induction is a sealed air induction system that draws cool, pressurized (if thats a word) air from the base of the windshield. The aerodynamics of the car creates a high pressure area at the bottom of the windshield that cowl induction uses two ways. It forces, to some degree, air into the opening at the rear of the hood and into your intake system. it also allows the engine to breathe the air outside of the engine compartment, which is a much lower temperature, thus making a few more horsepower.

A proper cowl induction setup would have the aircleaner sealed to the bottom of the hood..and sealed off from the engine bays hot air. The hood scoop is rear-facing and draws the engines air from the base of the windshield.

I personally like this design as opposed to a forward facing scoop. It prevents rain and objects from entering your intake, while still giving the ram-air benefits.

Hope this helps,

Jason icon_cool.gif

Guest Anonymous

Thanks, that was my understanding of it. I am planing on using the stock hood for my 240z but cutting a hole in the firewall so it opens into the cowl area and conecting that to the carbs. when i say cowl i mean the part between the windshield and hood where the wiper motor is. my questions are as follows.

1. Some one mentioned that forced air and SU's dont mix. can anyone say for sure one way or the other, will it mess up my carbs or just require a "tune up" to get correct mixtures??

2. is there anything to be gained from using some sort of divider to provide smoother flow and funneling it into a single feed to the carbs as oposed to just cutting a hole and routing it to the carbs.

3. would i gain from blocking off part of the cowl?? like using a solid piece with a few holes cut in the top instead of the stock part with lots of holes.

4. would a scoop or something increase the effect or is the stock cowl shape good??

thats a cool idea, ive thought of that as well, opening up the bonnet area to the engine compartment and closing off the air cleaner to it to make cowl induction, but then i realized, the more horse i start making, the taller the carbed motor gets, so im opting for a cowl hood so i can fit larger things in there.

Forced air to SUs is bad. I messes up the piston metering. Remember, the pistons react to the pressure differential between the air going into the engine and the air outside the engine.

Regarding your cowl intake: it will work but you'll have to stop using your heater, it draws air from the same place.

Guest Anonymous

yeah that would be a draw back but i am keeping the six my z came with. i like the "stock" look of the carbs and six. i am planing on the 3.1L conversion though possibly with turbo and or nitrus. So tall is not a problem.