HybridZ

How to Install a turbonetics manual boost control on my 81 zxt?

Has any one installed this type of boost control yet? I just picked up mine and it came with out the dam instructions!! I did a quick search and was tryin to find a picture install of it, but didnt find one. Sorry about the dumb post but im out on the car right now and im tryin to get it done b4 dark!! Thanx

Whats the date? Also I need the address again! I'd luv to go to the show!! just need 2 finish my intercooler set up and the boost control. Its kinda a pain in the butt!! I dont know which line is which? I only see one line comming off my acuator. I dont wanna start cutting up line's and jack it up!! LOL

the boost controller is basically "spliced" into the line that goes from the turbo to the waste gate actuator.

all the controller does is regulate how much boost that the actuator see's.

so if you adjust the boost controller to where the actuator see's less boost than is actually present, then the waste gate will stay closed longer and you will in return produce more boost.

(make sure to start on the lower boost setting so that you don't over boost and mess any thing up)

check the website zccw.org for activities. 280 only got one line from plenum to the waste gate. run a line from wherever you mount the boost controller to the where the plenum line is now connected (this is your inlet). Run the output line from the boost controller to the waste gate. we mounted the one on my son's z31 to the left front fender where there were some convenient mounting holes. You basically have a pressure relief valve which instead of exhausting to atmosphere exhausts to the waste gate actuator. thus your waste gate stays closed until the pressure relief valve lifts and puts pressure on it. As presently configured the waste gate gradually opens until full because there is just one line going to it from the plenum. If you can't figure it out from that drive over to my house and I'll show you. you can check out my new z31 turbo

the best place to put in a boost controller in a 280zx turbo is BETWEEN THE LITTLE "Y" THAT COMES OF THE TURBO AND GOES TO THE WASTE GATE.

you want the boost controller to be the first thing that actually "see's" the boost.

this means before the throttle body.

this will keep the waste gate closed longer, and sooner, so you will make boost quicker, while not spiking at high RPMs.