HybridZ

timing chain question

philipl

Im rebuilding a stock l28et for my 240z and putting the chain on head has been shaved maybe .005 for straightness and stock head gasket used old sprockets are being used with new chain .#1 piston was set at top dead center visually and cam mark set dead on while putting chain on it was just near impossible to get it on without slightly turning crank to get it on i hope i havent messed up i now realized i should have turned the cam slightly i do have 42 chain pins between sprocket teeth as recomended by other post. AM I OK TO MOVE TO NEXT STEP THANKS PHIL....:D

There is a little play there at the top when you get to top dead center when the rod is finished going up and starts to go down thats almost impossible to see with the naked eye. I am in the same boat with a new cam install, not sure if its a tooth off or perfect. The only way to know without machine shop tooling would be to put the front cover on and check cam timing vs. crank timing via balancer and timing plate.

Thanks guys for the responses to this one, the crank was turned just slightly to allow the chain to seat into proper location on the sprocket i guess my visual top dead center may have been a tad off .it appears that Timing Relationship between Crank and Cam is dictated and somewhat limited by distance between the two special chain links on a stock motor. hey thrust nut just noticed you are an aircraft mechanic just thought i would tell you my brother in law has a p51 mustang with the rolls merlyn engine in it its pretty awesome it actually did several tours of duty and shot down maybe 13 german lutwaffe in wwII.....

Is the front cover on the engine?

If your engine is being rebuilt, you still have the option of starting this exercise over. Essential is to have your engine at TDC on number one cylinder. As you're already aware, move the cam around via the boss in the middle of the cam to get the cam dowel to fit into the cam sprocket. Never move the crank until the cam drive setup is complete/together.

It's not hard to do...but ya gotta do it right to be safe and comfortable with your rebuild. Nothing worse than asking yourself....'Did I do that bit right?' just before you fire it up for the first time!

Your not stuck...just do it again.

Cheers and good luck. :D