HybridZ

Very!!! Stiff clutch

Ok i kno this should go in the drivetrain sub but it just seems ill get more response in this section

78 280z 5 spd

the clutch pedal is very very stiff and the car wont go into gear while the car on. it will off of course. but when i press on the clutch slowly its not so much pressure fighting back.

the fluid is low so would you think the slave cylinder would be leaking?

if any details are needed just let me know.

thanks

We are to assume this actually worked prior? Sounds like blockage. I would suspect the flex line has deteriorated internally. Open the bleeder on the slave cylinder and see if the pressure still exist (you'll probably spill fluid so use a short length of hose into a jar to catch it). If the pressure is still high I'd look at replacing the hose and master cylinder (because the high pressure will likely damage the MC seal). This is the most basic of answers. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Sounds like hydraulic failure due to mechanical failure. Pull the boot on the clutch master up by the pedal under the dash and on the slave and see if fluid leaks out. If so, replace both the master and slave.

I'd suggest that you also pull the transmission and check that the throwout fork isn't busted or the snout that the throwout bearing slides on isn't gummed up with the wrong grease. I put a clutch in my friend's Z and her pedal effort dropped about 1/2 because whatever grease was used on that part had gotten all gummy and it was really making the clutch stiff. Somebody probably used white lithium or something that cooks with the heat of the clutch and trans doing their thing...