HybridZ

urgent RB Z project help needed

MERCDRAGON

I'm at the last stretch of my RB swap but am having a lot of trouble getting the engine running correctly. I'll start by describing the engine: RB30DE run by a Haltech E11v2, with all the sensors from Haltech and the idle air control as well, it has the Tomei 8.5mm lift/256 duration cams and 440cc fuel injectors. From information i found on a similar swap I set the timing as: trigger angle 55*, home window 24, and tooth offset 5*. The problem i have is when starting the engine with the MAP set as load sensing, the sensor says around -2 psi at idle and overloads the engine with fuel and it can't run more than 5 to 10 seconds and bogs with added throttle. That leads me to bad sensor or huge vacuum leak(would have to be at manifold/head or injectors i think). When I set the TPS as load sensing the over rich condition goes away but the only way to get it to start is to give it quarter to half throttle and when it does start the engine runs anywhere over 4000 rpm(it does sound really good though :) ). I'm going to go out right now and see if I can confirm whether it is a vacuum leak or bad sensor but that is really hard because i only have a few seconds at a time to work with. Any help you guys can give me would be hugely appreciated and I know it's a bit much but if anybody on here is in the San Diego area and especially somewhere around Poway, I will be working on it all day tomorrow and if you want to help me or just check out the car and show yours off send me an email at stevedave240@hotmail.com

And once again thanks so much for any help you guys can provide.

Sounds like the MAP sensor isn't plugged into a vacuum source? Is it plugged into the surge tank, or after the throttles?

For initial start up you shouldn't be using the idle air control. Sounds like it's bypassing too much air.

Thanks for the input.

I had the idle air closed so it's not letting any air through, and the MAP is run directly to the plenum. i checked the vacuum with a vacuum guage and compared that value to what the MAP was seeing and they where the same so it looks like I really do have a big vacuum leak somewhere at the mating surface between the head and manifold. I don't really know what else the problem could be with the way that it's running. Tomorrow morning Im going to try to find the exact point of the leak so I know exactly what I have to do. If I have to pull the intake, hopefully I can get it back on during the week.

Are you running an RB26 head? If so, the plenum has no vacuum. There is an air distribution block under the plenum (with the idle air screw) that has two 6mm ports in it. That or you can use the tiny port coming out of the back of the balance tube on top of the throttles.

no Im using the non-VVT rb25de head and it turns out the vacuum leak seems to be solved. My dad did some work on the front of the engine at one point while I was out of town and when he put the timing belt back on he got the exhaust cam two teeth out of sync from the crank and intake. Started it after the fix and runs a lot better now. We are going to be tuning it and stuff this week to try to get everything squared away and hopefully I will be joining the community of driveable RB'ers within the next two weeks.