HybridZ

Exhaust Heat

Dp351zcar

Well my car is stripped, everything is gone except the doors. I was wondering how much heat a V8 with dual exhausts put in to the passenger compartment. Can I leave the heavy heater out of the car to save some weight? The car will not be a daily driver and I hope it never sees the rain, it will never see snow or an icy road. icon_eek.gif

I can pick up the body off the jack stands and I know I will hate to add the weight as I put it back together. icon_biggrin.gif

Don

I've driven my heater-less V8Z in sub freezing days a few times. It's not that bad. Of course, I had to accomodate for the trip (hat and gloves), but it was tolerable.

Yes, a lot of heat does work it's way up through the floor from the exhaust. However, start cruising at more than 60 mph for a few minutes and more of this heat is gone. Also, these older Zee's (Zed's to our friends in the north and extreme south icon_biggrin.gif ) typically do not have the best weather stripping in the door areas. Any heat increase from the exhaust, will be offset by the cold rush of air past the worn out weather stripping.

If you only plan on driving it a few times in the cold and don't mind that extra clothing, go for it. I can drive all day long in +40 degree temps in normal driving cloths and not be affected. When it starts hitting the 30's and lower, it's time for the winter beater (with a full heater). Also, the look of the engine compartment without the heater hoser is much cleaner IMHO.

-Andy