HybridZ

Need info to help me in my build.

skunk1551

I know searching can help me but i dont have alot of time for searching,

:nono: the implication here is that forum members time is less valuble than yours. The answer to your question requires a full write-up which takes alot of time and is covered many times elsewhere. SEARCH!!

Check the FAQs, theres a write-up on turbo-L's there,

look into: P90, p79, e88, n42 etc... "quench pad" "dished pistons" "siamesed cylinders" and so forth....

there is no point getting a simple answer if you dont understand the princible behind it - otherwise you might as well pay someone else to do your build for you, because you will learn just as much that way.

Check the stickys on L-series heads

Cheers,

• Like 1

I have 77 280 non turbo and am looking to go turbo. I have an idea on parts I plan on installing to building my block and head but i need to know what the difference is in a non turbo head and a turbo head 1st.

everything you need is right here

• Like 1

for you ppl that think i dont know anything, I know more than you think. I thought this was a place to help, but it seems most ppl are arogant pricks. I have an idea and can do it I just want info. All I am asking is what head do you ppl recommend. And dont think you ppl are spoon feeding me anything, I have been build for awhile now this is just my first long block. I just want help not arogance. And thank you skib and smokey for info thats helps Thanx a bunch. Not to be a prick I am just looking for ppl like skib and smokey that are kind enough to help. I would also appreciate it if you are only gonna criticize me just keep your words to yourself. Im not here to fight words with ppl, I am trying to build a nice car. Please leave the forum for helping opinions only, I though there were rules about junk like this.

• Administrators
… it seems most ppl are arogant pricks. …Please leave the forum for helping opinions only, I though there were rules about junk like this.

Skunk,

There are rules against junk like you are posting. In that post alone you violated rules #2, #5, and #12. Careful with #13, it bites. :shock:

First off, we don’t allow text short cuts. Examples being “ppl”, "Thanx” etc. Text short cuts come across as lazy and unprofessional. One of our many mottos around here is, "If someone wants professional information, ask in a professional manner".

The members were trying to help you understand how this forum operates, you clearly are not accepting their help. Grieves my heart to see the team try only to no avail. It’s my turn to try and help clarify how this forum operates. If you read the rules that you agreed to, you already know what happens if you come back with the same attitude towards an Admin/Super Mod when given direction. cool.gif

Lets try this again.

This forum has been around since early 2000. This forum has a pretty straightforward no nonsense approach to high-performance, especially as it applies to the Datsun/Nissan Z car. If something works, we share that experience. If something doesn’t we also share that experience, some of those “oops, that didn’t work” scenarios are quite humorous. :lmao:

We do hypothesize around here, but we make it clear that is what we are doing. If we are wrong, we admit it. If we don’t know an answer, we don’t post and allow those that do know to chime in and help out. We have no reason to beat one another up, we will help a fellow Z member in need, but we do expect that member to exercise the resources he has available to him and we’ll meet him and help the rest of the way, the best we can.

Being as this high performance Z car forum has been around for several years, there are many very knowledgeable members here, each gifted in his/her area and willing to help out any time. Many of the members here have spent a good portion of their lives, 10-20, even 30 years tinkering on these cars learning what they know the hard way. We’ve learned from our successes as well as our mistakes and we share both freely for the rest of you to glean from and hopefully not make the same mistakes and take our experience to the next level. All it takes is a few minutes, hours, or maybe even days depending on the topic, to sit in a chair and glean information that took many of us several years, untold thousands of dollars, gallons of sweat and even some blood, to learn. Information that we share to all, for free, on the pages of this forum.

To put this simply and quite bluntly, this membership is NOT going to spoon feed you the info that has already been posted, wasting their time holding your hand because you are too lazy to search on your own and wasting more band width repeating what has already been covered in the past. noway.gif

Please set aside the time and exercises the search feature, you'll be glad you did. There is an incredible amount of invaluable information regarding which cylinder heads most successful Turbo Z drivers prefer when turbo charging.

This link should help get you started;

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=125970

Hope that helps clarify how this forum operates.

Paul

HBZ staff.

Edited by BRAAP

I don't think you know what you are getting yourself into. I read through these forums for more than a year in regards to doing the turbo swap. I am still to this day learning new things about the swap and I've already got my motor built and ready to go. You can not rush this, or you will be going back and doing things over.

Here is some help though.

The turbo internals have dished pistons. Thats about the only difference in the bottom end. The turbo head has a larger combustion chamber to lower the compression with aid from the dished pistons. The camshaft has a different grind with less overlap. It also has square ports on the exhaust.

Take a lot of peoples advice when it comes to searching......it's your only life line.

Guest Rolling Parts
I have 77 280 non turbo and am looking to go turbo. I have an idea on parts I plan on installing to building my block and head but i need to know what the difference is in a non turbo head and a turbo head 1st.

If you're lazy and cheap, get a complete 81-83 turbo engine. If not, then you need to realize that you are starting your own engine research project. The head and cam and pistons, and turbo selected depend on what else you are doing to the engine. Every combination will "worK' to some degree but YOU have to research it if you want it to work well as a system. EVERY L6 head has been used with a turbocharger.

Here is a list of difference so you can start deciding what might work for you:

http://datsunzgarage.com/heads/

...Not to be a prick I am just looking for ppl like skib and smokey that are kind enough to help. I would also appreciate it if you are only gonna criticize me just keep your words to yourself. Im not here to fight words with ppl, I am trying to build a nice car.

Actually, I was helping if you look into my suggestions...

Your "simple" question is not as simple as you think. generally, people reccommend a p90 head with solid lifters and ridiculous port work etc. However, the greatest HP numbers have not been posted on this head but on other exotic heavily modded heads (re: TimZ/monzter)

You really need to set yourself some goals before choosing a head - how much HP? how much boost? how much CR?

You can then choose a block/crank/piston/head combination to acheive theses goals based on other peoples results in these areas. Building an L turbo IS an engine research project, everyones set up is slightly different and the search tool is your key to access known acheivable results.

If you want to build a factory turbo engine, taking no risks and getting factory HP, get yourself an 280zxt FSM, you need'nt ask then, just refer to factory data. If not, you're out here in the ether with the rest of us and the key becomes read, read, read.

ok then bare with me for a minute. Here is a basic run through on plans. The block is getting bored to 88mm, I am going forged flattop since they are easier and cheaper, but here is where I get the crap. I want a 10:1 ratio for response since I am at 9:1 now. I am sure as I go along it will get lower. H-beam rods, and pefrormance gaskets and seals, stock crank for now, as of now i am going with 300zx twin turbo injectors till I get more money. It will be intercooled with a garret turbo from an 86. The head is getting completly overhauled with bigger cam and better valves, springs,etc. also port and polishing. I want to run at least 10 psi, I dont mind on the hp I just miss my turbo and want one in my 280. So you can say I am planning on spending some cash but keep in mind I am not made of it either. Now you know a start lets work from there.

This has been brewing for over 3yrs now, so I hope the reaserch I have done isn't a waste and the plans seem ok. I am expecting alot of trouble shooting and problems.

So please feel free to tell me where I am going wrong or even if some think its a good start that info would be appreciated to.

and yes you did help me I forgot to add you in the phrase. Sorry for the confusiuon. Truely sorry. For everyone if we got off on the wrong foot please forgive me. I was being attaked from all ends that day here and didn't mean to take it out on the wrong people. This is the last junk I promise

As for the searching thing I work all day, I go to college, so the rest of my day goes to working on my z. The last thing I have time to do is search. Dont get me wrong I don't mind searching I just cant cram it in my schedule to often.

Guest Rolling Parts
The block is getting bored to 88mm, I am going forged flattop since they are easier and cheaper, The head is getting completly overhauled with bigger cam and better valves, springs,etc. also port and polishing.

Interesting,

You wanted to know the difference between the block and head AFTER you chose the block and head? Not so sure that high compression flattops and a big cam was the way to go for a first time turbo engine build, but it's HybridZ and damn near anything works! :lol:

All I can recommend after the fact is that you SHOULD find a source of higher octane fuel and invest in a stand alone EFI computer and get a distributorless ignition system. Since this is an engineering effort, you'll apreciate(no, you will actually need) the ability to tune the fuel and spark to your engine. I used Megasquirt and Ford EDIS a few times and it's 100 times better than trying to jack with adapting the 77 dizzy and 77 EFI system to work as you want and with enough precision to avoid "grenading".