HybridZ

SIZE IS EVERYTHING

Guest SHARKMAN

Guest SHARKMAN

I want some input from you guys as to what size steering wheel I should use on my car. I plan on using the car for auto-x and show. I won't be using it for a daily driver. I planned on using a 10" --14"flat bottom steering wheel. Car when finished will have coil-overs 275lbs 8" or 10" as recommended by dando's in fremont california. I intend on using 275-17-40 series tires with 10" or 11" rims. I shouldn't have a problem with not enough room for big tires and wheels do to the arizona camel gt fiberglass road race kit. Enough of all that. WHAT THE HECK SIZE STEERING WHEEL DO YOU THINK IS BEST? I hope someone can help shed some light on the subject. Thank's SHARKMAN The same size of springs and the weight of springs will be used at all corners to help create a extreamly well handeling car not intended for a daily driver.

Guest Anonymous

Quite the opposite, the bigger the better. The bigger the diameter of the steering wheel the more toque you will be able to apply on the steering shaft, and the easier it will be to steer the car, especially on those huhgr front tyres you've got! You don't believe me? Just try turning your steering wheel from the spokes, close to the hub icon_biggrin.gif I would recommend a nice 14" momo as they look and feel classy and aren't TOO big

YUp...Bigger is better...More leaverage. However, with the power steering unit, you should be fine with a 13-14 inch wheel. I'd like info on your power steering... I'm running the same size tires in the rear, and 255-40-17s in front, running 12 inch 250# coil over springs at all four corners.

Mike icon_biggrin.gif

Yes, a bigger wheel is better for parallel parking and slow driving (maybe even autocrossing if your tires are really wide), but a smaller steering wheel is better once you are moving--there tends to be less (I did not say 'no difference') difference at speed. However, with power steering, the steering wheel size should not be so much of an issue.

Davy

whoops, my bad, does that mean a datsun steering wheel is better than the smaller 13-14 grant steering wheels out there, if so than thats nuts, im feeling no handles n the 280. but yes it does make sense, and man i drive two to three different z's a week. hmmm, big steering wheel.

i can understand the big steering wheel working well in parralell parking and small proximity stuff of the sort, but once your moving, isnt a wheel a wheel and the smaller the better then??????? i dont think he got the big tire setup to paralell park with the greatest of ease now.

Guest SHARKMAN

quote:

Originally posted by Mikelly:

YUp...Bigger is better...More leaverage. However, with the power steering unit, you should be fine with a 13-14 inch wheel. I'd like info on your power steering... I'm running the same size tires in the rear, and 255-40-17s in front, running 12 inch 250# coil over springs at all four corners.

Mike
icon_biggrin.gif

click here

The powersteering rack from my 88 BMW 325 looks almost identical to the rack on my Z, only difference being the mounts and hoses. Maybe it would be worth looking into for someone wanting powersteering in their Z.

Thure

Guest SHARKMAN

I just wanted to say the original up grade was written saying it would bolt right in. The story now has been updated to included the steering shaft as well. And the amount of work involved doesn't sound all that bad. I'm not saying it isn't a lot of work,but I beleave the end result would be worth it.

Guest SHARKMAN

This message is for mtj71z. I do not own the car you mentioned. But I have seen it and It did remind me of a shark. But my car is a 1977 280z with the arizona z camel gt road race kit.