HybridZ

Burn some rubber

JessZ

My buddy recently picked up an automatic '77 280z for $2000. I've been into Z's for years now and this is the best deal I've seen. The body and interior are nearly perfect and the engine ran flawless from Santa Barbara, Ca to Austin, Tx and back.

Anyway, all this dude wants, against my advice that is, is to have this Z burn rubber; he's the showboat type. Now I've done the l28et into my 240z swap, and of course it will spin the tires, it's got a standard tranny. My question here is, keep in mind all this mug wants to do is burn rubber from a stop, is the l28et going to cut it for this guy, or should work on doing the Chevy/350 hydromatic for off the line, tire burning torque?

I prefer to do the turbo swap because I have the know how, however it just does not seem like it has the grunt for the heavier '77 body to produce smoke. And we're not interested in a serious turbo swap, it'd be more of a stock with no more than 11-15psi. Does anyone here have a turbo, auto Z that'll roast the tires without powerbraking?

I dont even see the need for a swap. If its in as good of shape as I think the engine must be pretty close to its original power. As Jeff mentioned get a new set of low gears and youd be set. If he doesnt want one tire fires, look into an LSD. Zs are good at burning rubber stock. :)

Put a 4.11 rear end in it. It will burn the tires then.

Dunno 'bout this one. Think about an ordinary farm tractor. Super low gearing, should make the wheels spin easily.....nope, it doesn't.

Why?

You need revs and power to effectively spin the hoops, something the stock tractor engine lacks. Torque multiplication by gearing isn't the answer IMO. :burnout:

Dunno 'bout this one. Think about an ordinary farm tractor. Super low gearing, should make the wheels spin easily.....nope, it doesn't.

Why?

You need revs and power to effectively spin the hoops, something the stock tractor engine lacks. Torque multiplication by gearing isn't the answer IMO. :burnout:

well, more like you need some way of holding the thing in place to get it to burn. Also, big tires=higher gearing

tractors tend to have large tires, which are harder to burn than smaller tires.

a stock Z burns rubber pretty damn well actually. Drop the clutch at 4 grand and if I had a line lock I'd have a pretty smokey burnout. No LSD but it roasts them both pretty evenly when it peels out.