HybridZ

two speed taurus fan

Guest Glenn Parker

Guest Glenn Parker

I picked up a 2 speed Taurus fan the other day. After cleaning it up, I did a little testing to understand the wiring prior to putting it in the car. There are three wires including the black ground wire. If I put 12 volts to either of the two power wires I get the same fan speed but if I put power to both the wires the fan will slow to half speed. Is that how Ford controled the fans speed or am I doing something wrong. All I'm interested in is high speed any way, but I'd like to understand its function. I'd like to hear from brighter minds than mine.

Guest Anonymous

I'm a little hazy, but I want to say theres a black wire thats your ground and a black yellow and a black orange? (something like that). I just hooked it up to the battery that way to see how it worked, one was low, the other high, I used a relay to cut it on, and for the time being have it just wired to stay on, I'll do a thermo switch sometime. As I said thats hazy, they may have been solid colored wireds, but thats how I recalled it. It does work great BTW.

Regards,

Lone

PS: Watch your fingers on the sharp plastic blades in the fan, while giving it a manual spin, they will cut you like you can't imagine. icon_mad.gif

FWIW my Cobra fan, which is supposed to be 2speed, runs one sped no matter which winding gets power (sigh). I might have two grounds too but I'm less sure of that. Running juice to both hot wires displays no apparent change in fan speed. I was stumped so I've simply set it up so that one relay is thermo switched and the other switched with a toggle. When the toggle one is clicked on the power to the thermo one is cut just in case it can't handle power on both windings. Not sure if mine is running high speed or not but it cools wonderfully! Next fan might be a Taurus one though so I can have two speeds (shrug).

Well, my motor is a junk yard unit - long story icon_smile.gif With my cowl hood closed an dfan on there's a BREEZE coming out of th ecowl. It's actually picked paper off the gorund and sucked it up against the radiator. With the hood up you can feel the air at the back of the car icon_eek.gif I had one person at a cruise complain about the hot breeze and then move away once - I laughed icon_biggrin.gif One speed, two speed - so long as I don't run it full time it should be fine. My friend ran his on high whenever the engine was running - that's how I got the fan frame. Seems it fried pretty good being run that hard....

• 1 month later...

OK, so whats the verdit on the high speed? Is it

the brown/yellow or the brown/orange? I bought

the painless wiring relay/fan swith that is good

for 30 amps. Is this gonna do the trick if its

wired on high speed? It has a thermo switch that

kicks the fan on at 185 and shuts off at 170.

Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by z ya:

OK, so whats the verdit on the high speed? Is it

the brown/yellow or the brown/orange?

I don't know but it would be easy to find out using any 12volt source, battery chargers are very handy and not large amp sources. (naturally batteries work alright). Have others used 30A relays with that setup fine? I've consistently melted some 30A setups with my 'lesser' flexalite, just my experience.....I finally put in 2 30's in parallel with the blade fuses to ensure no more hassles icon_smile.gif Maybe a single blade 30A would have worked, I'd only used tube style prior to my current twin 30's. Even the tube fuse would be OK on occasion but the ends of the fuse holder would melt etc and it was all new wiring I'd put in, cheap fuse setup I guess.

good luck