HybridZ

So my project begines

Two days ago i was helping my friend sell a car to another friend of mine. We went around back for a smoke and BOOM. 350 sbc just sitting there. blah blah blah, it is now sitting at my house for free waiting to be built and put in the z. Working on shorts amounts of money but wondering what the cheapest trans is that will work with the z (auto or 5spd.)

you are opening a can of worms with a V8 conversion. Getting the engine and trans is the easiest part.

if you don't have the money for a transmission then you will not have enough to do a good swap. And your car will sit for years then end up being towed to the junk yard.

If you are short on money then you would be better off just adding a turbo to your current datsun engine.

Your first V8 conversion always takes much longer than you think and cost much more than you plan for.

Th-350 is the cheapest in most cases, with a 3 speed auto you will pulling a lot of rpms on the highway, trust me you want either a 4 speed auto or a 5 speed manual.

Lol..this is so the truth. The only reason i have a TH350 in my car is because i got it for free(and it only had 1k miles on it since being rebuilt by a really good local shop), and because i dont drive too often on the freeway. When you couple my 3spd auto with the 88NA z31 rearend ratio of like 3.9:1...well...yea.... you get the idea.

On the plus side, 45mph crusing will have to be a MUST! no more speeding tickets.

• 2 weeks later...
you are opening a can of worms with a V8 conversion. Getting the engine and trans is the easiest part.

if you don't have the money for a transmission then you will not have enough to do a good swap. And your car will sit for years then end up being towed to the junk yard.

If you are short on money then you would be better off just adding a turbo to your current datsun engine.

Your first V8 conversion always takes much longer than you think and cost much more than you plan for.

Amen. I hate where im at right now...feels like i may never drive my Z again.