HybridZ

Nitrous in California

Guest steven96

Guest steven96

Hey guys need some clarification here on this subject. Is it legal to sell here in California? Can it even be used here in California. Are there places where you can refill the tank even here in CA? I see catalogs saying its legal in all 50 states, but then others say they wont ship to CA. Or they say not for sale for use on emission controlled vehicles. So can anyone help me out with this subject. Thanks for answering all the little questions.

Steven

My understanding is that it is legal in california for off-highway use. I have heard lots of different 'facts' on this and am not sure whether or not it's legal to even have in your car. My personal belief is that it is legal to have in your vehicle on the roads as long as it is properly mounted and is NOT hooked up. Though cops seem to think that nitrous is a highly flammable and dangerous gas, and I've heard that most will give you a ticket if they catch you with it, hooked up or not. I even saw something official from the state a while back about nitrous in which it was referred to as flammable. Totally absurd considering that it's just an oxidant. The only danger is from the pressure of the bottle. And I'm sure you've seen trucks from welding supply places driving around with a dozen huge compressed gas tanks in the back. Like that's less dangerous than a nitrous bottle.

So, in general, I think it's legal to have as long as it's not hooked up. There are plenty of places to have the bottles filled. You'll probably still get flak from the law for having a bottle because it tags you instantly as a racer (not that rumbling around in a V8Z doesn't icon_biggrin.gif )

Guest Anonymous

Steven,

Nion is correct. You can have it on the car, with the bottles off, and the lines empty. Now the nippon guys all have purge valves and remote electric bottle openers. I've heard that to be extra safe -because if your car gets impounded, and they find anything in the lines your in trouble- some guys have another tank with straight compressed air, and if they get pulled over will close the NOS tank, open the compressed air tank, and open the purge valve, thus the compressed air cleans out the lines. This is nice, but usually if you hide the bottle and lines (tough in a hatch back I know) as long as you have a purge, and remote opener, you should be fine. hiding the bottle just makes you less susceptible to having the car impounded. anyways, any nipper shop (aka speed shop/performance shop) should have kits, or tell you a store that does. that isn't hard.

Hope this helps,

Kris

Getting your car impounded for having a nitrousbottle??? I thought it was only a joke when people say Nazi-cops.

Personally I left CA partly cause of the Nazi-metermaids. They Impounded (read stole) my first Z, because of 5 parkingtickets that I never received or knew about.

Thure

on a street vehicle it is considered illegal.i know here in louisiana if you are found with it you are automatically given a ticket for whatever reason they want. i've heard everything from an exhibition of speed to unlawful vehicle equipment "whatever that one is". i guess it all comes down to how well you hide it or if the popo that stops you is really that much of a prick. i know in past cars i've set up with it, i hide it. less of a reason to draw undo attention to yourself, plus it makes you that much more of a sleeper. i look at it as a challenege. if i can hide it to were someone who works on cars a lot can't spot it, all the better.

besides why advertise what i've got.

Is there really a need for nitrous on the street?If so how does anyone know you have nitrous unless you advertise. I thought this stuff was for street sleepers. If your car looks fast it probably is fast. You can't hide driving a Z car. LOL. I love nitrous since the days of the road warrior. I'm sorry to hear this is a problem child in some of you guy's states. Sounds like just one thing to bring in more cash fines and take away our lively hood. Maybe the cops really want it on their cars? LOL icon_smile.gif

Hi Steven,

Check and see if you have a shop called "prowlers" It's a high perfomance off road shop.

I have one out here and they have NOS and refill bottles.

Dave

Guest Anonymous

Thurem,

Biohzrd is correct, you don't get impounded for the bottle, you get it impounded for racing, exhibitionist speed, etc. Especially here in my town, we have the worst cops in the state (I'm not joking, I would very well consider them top 10 worst in the country!) ALL they do is speed traps, and give tickets. and if you are racing, and in a honda, oh man that car is gone for a month! My friend got pulled over racing recently, his dad talked to the cop later... the only reason he didn't get it impounded, and only got a ticket instead, was because it was a stock looking truck ('97 dakota) and he was a "Nice kid." If it was a honduh, acrapa, any riced out car, it would have been gone!

Oh man that is one bad post! It's way too late! (1:23 AM)

Kris

I am lost? NOS makes 50 state legal kits for stangs and z 28's. But its illegal? I think that

it is illegal to have it in a 73 and newer car

or truck.If the car has no emissions testing,pre

73 , how is it illegal? How can NOS sell there kit

as 50 state legal but you have to have it unhooked?

Guest Anonymous

Z ya,

The kits are 50 state legal to have hooked up on the car, you just can't have the lines open, ie the bottle open, and the lines to your nozzle have to be empty. You can't use it on the street, but the kit is legal to have installed on your car. if not done properly it could be illegal due to saftey problems, this is the only reason they say 50 state legal.

Unfortunately, even 73 and older cars can't run it on the street. This is not for emmisions reasons, because it essentially does the same thing as a turbo or supercharger. Rather, because nitrous is only needed for racing, and racing on the street is illegal, therefore, it is illegal to use on the street.

Hope that makes sense,

Kris