HybridZ

would like your opinion on compression

stravi757

hey guys, i just bought an l28e with a 4spd tranny(which is forsale btw if anyone is interested)

anyways i put the engine in and fired it up. i have white smoke coming out of the valve cover but the engine has been sitting for a very long time. so i don't think i have a bad head gasket, but i just put this engine in so i can pass smog and my numbers came out in order from 1 to 6 as 148 145 148 150 145 148. are these too low? will this affect me passing smog? my car is a 1978 280z

nah, the engine is probably a bit worn, but those numbers seem pretty even, so I doubt there's any major problems. Just make sure you clean everything well, give it a good valve adjustment, maybe get a bit thicker oil (what are you currently using?)

as for passing emissions, set the timing to 0* advance. it'll run piss poor and have no power at all, but it'll burn better (mine was having a horrible time at idle because of how much timing I had till I zeroed it)

oh, btw if the engine HAS been sitting for a long time, drain EVERYTHING out, and put fresh oil in it, pour some seafoam into the intake (let it get sucked in through the booster hose) and pour i want to say about half the bottle into the engine oil, and run it for a while, then give it an oil change. It'll help clean it up real good.

oh, btw if the engine HAS been sitting for a long time, drain EVERYTHING out, and put fresh oil in it, pour some seafoam into the intake (let it get sucked in through the booster hose) and pour i want to say about half the bottle into the engine oil, and run it for a while, then give it an oil change. It'll help clean it up real good.

ya ill try taht, right now i have 10-40 i think im going to put 20-50 in it. do you guys know what the compression is supposed to be stock?

hey guys, so i was just letting u know that my car just passed smog with the engine i just put in, the guy at the smog station said he couldn't believe it, he said with the exhaust leak it had on it he felt bad passing it it. great news for me though, i haven't been on the road in 6 months. finally can go back to turbo woot woot!