HybridZ

wutcha think about 92 prelude seats?

denny411

You're in luck. I have some of these in my car. At least I believe that they are from a '92, or that general time period. I don't have any pictures of them on the net, really, though I can take some any time. Let me tell you that they were an unbelievable PITA to work with. I ended up using my dad's experience with fiberglass (he built an experimental plane from scratch) to make some fat fiberglass mounts to adapt the Prelude seats to the 240Z seat sliders. Suffice to say that there must be easier solutions. In any case, they are really great. They sit a bit higher than the old seats the way I have them mounted but are very comfortable. The driver's seat has adjustable everything - tilt with memory, lumbar support, and even adjustable side bolsters (way cool!) If you want to give them a shot go ahead, and I can probably provide you with pictures of all the brackets my dad made. But there are definitely easier seats to adapt to the Z.

I just installed a pair of Starion seats in my Z. Like the Prelude they are very comfortable and adjust everyway to Sunday. They even have an adjustable thigh support as well as the side bolsters and lumbar. They look very different though. On the plus side they fit great and are easy to install. All that was required is one piece of 3/4x3/4 square tube and a few nuts and bolts from Ace hardware. Don't know what Prelude seats would cost. I paid $100/pair.

I got three Prelude seats from a Datsun 510/Roadster guy for $200. one driver and two passenger - the spare passenger seat is in my garage. Comfy place to read my JTR manual icon_wink.gif But really, I thought they were worth the price. If I had to do it again I'd look for some seats that are a little easier to install.

I sat in Tim Schorn's car this weekend (wickedly fast car!) and it has Prelude seats in it. They gripped well, but seemed a bit narrow to my 6'0 230 lb frame. They might be adjustable for that, though. They seemed very comfortable and supportive. The only issue I might have with them would be the seat height. They seem to sit about 2" taller than stock. My car came to me with a sunroof, and parts of its frame protrudes about 3/4" into the cabin. My head *might* hit that on very uneven pavement. The proximity to the roof also made the cabin seem more cramped to me.

I think when I look at putting new seats in my car (which will be soon) I'll still consider the Prelude seats, but if I go with them I'll channel the Z's seat supports to make up for the lost headroom.

Guest Anonymous

Scott,

I think channeling the seat supports is a must. I haven't yet found a seat that sits as low as the stockers. I am 6'3" and my upper body is the longest part. That makes headroom very important for me.

The problem that I found with mounting the seats lower than stock is that seat width becomes more and more important as you go lower into the floorpan. I think the most critical measurement on a seat that will be transplanted into the Z car is the width of the seat where the backrest meets the seat bottom. The Z seats are incredibly narrow in that area in order to clear the seat belt mechanism and allow maximum legroom.

I have documented two of my seat installs:

http://www.zcarcreations.com/howto/hondaseat.htm

Things could have always been done better or differently but I ended up going back to stock seats. I want to try again in the near future, though icon_smile.gif

Good observation on the seats. I have a set of Eclipse seats in my car ~90 model. I had a set of Talon seats that were more adjustable (sport seat) but not as attractive. These seats look great in a Z as they have the same shape as the stock seats. Installation is EASY. Front bolt holes of the track lines up wit the body. Cut the foot off the back of the track and weld a stud on that lines up with the stock Z mount hole. Tighten bolts. Done. Actually, you have to cut the lever off that is for rear seat passengers to flip the seat up as well. I'm 6'0" and If I was any taller this wouldn't work. They are too wide to go back any further than the Eclipse tracks let them go.

zseats.jpg

The Eclipse seats are the same shape without the adjustable head pad. They both have the adjustable lumbar, but only the Talon seats I found (and I haven't seen another set) have the adjustable thigh support. All of this is mechanical so no need for electrics or pneumatics to be adapted. I paid $40 for the pair of Eclipse seats and $100 for the Talon seats.