HybridZ

RB25 wiring gurus needed please

Paulpen

Im quite a lurker, reader and searcher but less of a poster but hoping that wont matter :

Long story but here goes

18 months ago I did a RB25 (series 1) conversion into my S13. It was my daily at the time and I needed it to work so got someone to do it that was supposedly an expert at it.

I did the swap and it didnt start. No power to injectors or coils so I got it running.

Skip foward 18 months. Im now breaking my S13 and building a Onevia that the RB is going in. I cleaned all the unwanted wires from the car loom and then get to the engine one. Untape it etc and O.M.F.G its a mess.

Ive already sorted out the bodged pins in connectors but have a few questions that I cant really sort without looking at another loom or someone knowing it :bawling:

So here is what I know :

The R33 harness connects to the dash harness at one point so mine was repinned to fit my dash harness. Currently I have 4 wires in it which ive traced as follows :

Yellow/red - splits into two wires and goes to the tacho readout wire in the bay and the ecu

Yellow/green - to the ecu

Blue/black - Temperature gauge

Orange -> grey/red - ecu

And thats all I have in that connector as per pic

DSC00124.jpg

Im guessing this is the R33 version of what im using (but with more wires)

DSC00119.jpg

strange thing is that I have 3 wires going into this from the engine loom so they go nowhere !

Ive traced them so here goes

Black - goes to a purple inlent manifold plug - think its AAC (air con idle up) ?

Light blue - Goes to a gray connector with an orange insert, not sure where but possibly front of inlet area. Heres a pic or two as im crap with words

DSC00120.jpg

DSC00121.jpg

Blue/white - splits off into 4 wires after about a foot. These then go to a coil pack plug, what I think is the VVT (first pic below), the oxygen sensor and what I think is the boost solenoid (second pic below).

DSC00122.jpg

DSC00123.jpg.

If you are still reading then thankyou :)

The thing I find strange is that the car seemed to run fine on stock parts but did overfuel a bit and pulled 285ish on standard boost.

Help very much welcome ;)

Traced every wire from the ecu connector to its end tonight and here is what ive now got. I used the following guide but not sure if its correct or my loom is missing alot of things :S

RB25Terminals.jpg

I made a table of what ive got and where it is and uploaded it here as cant seem to get the table to look correct any other way :(

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

• 2 weeks later...

Well after alot of time and help I think ive got it all done correctly now :)

Just a question about the coil pack loom though - is it meant to have 2 earth bolt connectors ? One goes the the white plug and one comes from inside the tape going to the pack connectors ?

Coilloom.jpg

I always cringe when i see these threads. I went with an aftermarket ECU for that specific reason. They cost more but in the end you have a cleaner NEW wire harness VS a harness that has been hacked into who knows how many times.

I always cringe when i see these threads. I went with an aftermarket ECU for that specific reason. They cost more but in the end you have a cleaner NEW wire harness VS a harness that has been hacked into who knows how many times.

Surely even with a different ecu (power fc, emanage etc) you still have the same loom there ?!

The ecu is only as good as the wires and sensors reporting to it !

Well yea i guess your right there. i do have 2 grounds IIRC the small one goes under the ignitor pack and the white one goes under the coil pack base bolt. I dont have access to my motor right now or i would take look and shoot some pics.

Do you have the online service manual for the rb? it has some really good pics of the engine and coil harness

Ok i tried to send it but it was too big. either your server or my server wont allow it. here is a link

http://cid-d15d93fe41d91127.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/skyline/gtr|_32|_service|_manual.pdf

if that doesn't work the name of the file is gtr_32_service_manual it's a PDF and its all over the internet its 23+meg. if you google the file name you should get a bunch of hits on where to download it from.