HybridZ

Hogging out a factory manifold for a T4?

zeeboost

Long story short, I'm about to be welding a T4 flange onto my factory turbo manifold. Is there any reason why I shouldn't hog out the manifold so it will have the same opening as the T4 flange? Should I weld the flange offset on the manifold (hard to describe, but I can't upload pics at work), or just center the flange and weld it on? If I offset it so that the flange is flush with the top of the T3 flange, I will have less material to shave off...if that even matters.

Has anyone else here welded a T4 flange onto your factory manifold? I know Clifton has, but that's about it, and I couldn't find any pics.

I have a manifold that has provision for a T4 that I picked up last year.

It has the flange centered where the T3 was.

Sorry, don't have a camera or I'd post a pic...It does look as though the mounting face is in the same location/height as the T3 flange (if you lay the exhaust ports on the bench the flange is the same height for both manifolds)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, but I was worried about spacing the turbo too far out to where I would have clearance issues with the inner fender / frame rail. I have it all worked out now. I went ahead and reamed the heck out of the manifold (a little too much, actually) and had the T4 flange TIG welded on there on the inside and outside of the flange. I've always been under the impression that you have to get cast iron pretty hot to make a good, lasting weld on, so I have mixed feelings about using a TIG as the tool of choice. Nevertheless, it's already done, so I'll see how it goes. I haven't run the car yet due to misc. coolant and fuel leaks after reassembly, but as soon as I fix those, I should be in business.

cool let us know how it goes. I want a tig so bad. I have 2arc and 2migs welders. I think tigs are amazing if you can get the hang of them. Some of the shops around here do torch welding when it comes to welding on cast for some reason. to each their own.