HybridZ

1975 280z Transmission Question

Hey everyone. I am new to the forum and i already have a question. I bout a 1975 Scarab 280z yesterday and the owner stated that the cars transmission is from a 1984 camaro. I was driving it and noticed that the rpm's were 3000rpm at 60mph. What 5 speed trans will fit witout major fabrication? Can i use a t5 or is there and issue with the flywheel/pressure plate?

Thanks for reading,

Stairs240z:-o

3000? Are you sure you have shifted to 5th, (4th if auto)..or you have some nasty low rear gears.

I thought by '83 all transmissions for the Camaro were OD.

Better try the search button as there is plenty of T5 info out there.

Personally, after seeing my neighbor go through two WC T5s in a few weeks with a wimpy stock 305, I wouldn't touch one without some serious upgrades. Driven nicely, shift slowly, they do fine.

The owner stated that the trans was a four speed. I can drive at 3000rpm but it just seems high. If the t-5 is not all that great from what i have been reading on this forum, what would you recomend?

stairs240z:mrgreen:

The t5 is a nice light weight trans with a lot of desireable features. One of our old members had one behind his paxton 383 z for years, but shifted slowly, really babied it.

I don't like the idea of pulling the trans out just because of some quick hard shifts so I went T56. Anything can be trashed with enough abuse.

Hey everyone. I am new to the forum and i already have a question. I bout a 1975 Scarab 280z yesterday and the owner stated that the cars transmission is from a 1984 camaro. I was driving it and noticed that the rpm's were 3000rpm at 60mph. What 5 speed trans will fit witout major fabrication? Can i use a t5 or is there and issue with the flywheel/pressure plate?

Thanks for reading,

Stairs240z:-o

The transmission should be a 4 speed 700R4 and should NOT be taching out at 3000 rpm @ 60 mph. It is 1) not shifting into 4th gear most likely or 2) actually a 3 speed trans TH 350 or 3) your car has some unreal numerically high gear ratio. Make the determination on the type of trans first before doing anything else. It may just be a fix to make it shift correctly, that's all. A T5 will also tach out at nearly the same rpm if your rear gears are numerically high. Does that make sense??

You should search for T5 conversions in this site and read before asking the question. Drivetrain forum should also have answers too.

Davy

• 2 weeks later...

Here is some more questions, sorry. The shift pattern i have seen on most four speeds is a standard h pattern and the reverse position is either on the far right anf up or far left and up. My shift pattern on this lovely 4 speed is the standard h pattern, but the reverse position in far left and back where the second gear are is while you are pushing the shifter in towards the gound.

- Do i have a Ford shifter on the car?

- Did Hurst ever make this kind of shift pattern?

- How do you adjust side to side movement, cause my car is caught when you shift to 2nd from 1st or when you shift form 1st to 2nd, and from 3rd to 2nd?

Any and all help would be great. i have searched high and low on the internet and this forum but no answers?:redface:

It would help us help you if you gave us more information on your car. A "Scarab" Z could be anything from a factory VIN car, to a Scarab kit conversion or an older generic name for a V8Z. Since your description of the shift patten of the transmission suggests that it is (at the very least) not a factorey VIN Scarab, what is engine is in your car and do you have pictures of the engine bay ? This will help. Thanks

It looks like a kit, I don't see a vin number, but i have the engine code and some other pics for you guys and gals. Again all help is appreciated.

DSCN2598.jpg

The Engine code

DSCN2607.jpg

This is the best shot I could get...sorry

DSCN2620.jpg

and the rods and such, I don't know if this helps.

and some random photos for you.

DSCN2599.jpg

DSCN2605.jpg

DSCN2606.jpg

DSCN2616.jpg

:burnout:

Great shots -- Here's what I can figure:

I think your transmission is a Ford "Top Loader" --4 speed -- but the case and shift pattern match -- how/why it got mated to the Chevy small block is ???

See this link and scroll down to the end

http://www.kevinstang.com/fordshift.htm

What year , etc. I'm not sure. so ratios are unknown.

Your engine block is Corvette/Camero preformance -- should be a 4-bolt main.

The car was probably initially converted to V8 with a Scarab Kit - hense the decal on the quarter window. That came with the kits. Looks changed by now - see if you can get a shot of the bellhousing where the clutch fork is.. Scarab used a special bellhousing.

Other things to photo -- motor mounts ,headers -- that way I can help ID the rest of what you have.

Scarab 155

From the photo of the transmission, I (personally) cannot see any side cover or side cover bolts .. This suggests the access cover is on the top of the transmission. -- That's a Ford. Secondly, the shift pattern you mentioned where Reverse is left and down also suggests a Ford transmission. Saginaws had the Reverse shifter stud near the others but so do Ford Top loaders.

All Muncies had a removable side cover as well as Reverse left and up.

Best get more photos of the transmission -- can you see the top of the transmission ? Also any and all casting numbers.

If you want, PM me and we can see about meeting where I can inspect the car and help ID things.

I see four side cover bolts, and the GM logo with a part number cast into the case all with the pics he posted, (the shifter linkage is also way wrong and the as for the reverse being left down case doesnt even have any resemblance of a ford or saginaw) instead of left up, that can be changed with either the shifter, linkage or the gears, but his explaining the shift pattern was sketchy. the best thing to do is to get the part number. Its on the passenger side at the top right above the GM casting.

4speed2.jpg

take note on this trans that the lever on the side cover for reverse is pointed up, which would mean that reverse would be located left up, while the one in the z is pointed down, which would make it left down.

edit: after looking at pics on google, the reverse linkage isnt on the tail shaft, its on the side cover making it a saginaw 4 speed.