HybridZ

Fuel bucket/pump assy question

After searching all over here and LS1 tech, I cannot find a solution.

I have a warmed up 99 LS1 engine going in a 77 280.

My question is: Can I use a camaro, gto, or similar fuel bucket in a flat-bottom plastic fuel cell if the bucket's springs are compressed enough to keep the assy. tight to the floor of the cell? I realize I will have to fabricate a ring arrangement to hold it down. Would this set-up work like it does in a stock GM tank?

Thanks in advance from all you knowledgeable dudes.

I don't see why not. I happen to have one of the stock plastic tanks and fuel pump assemblies. I just tried putting the assembly into the tank. You have to compress the assembly about 1/2" to get it in the stock tank and there looks like there is about 4" it can be depressed. BTW if you have the stock tank ring and you're not going to use it I would be interested in buying it.

I agree that it could be done. I have put in and out enough times on the stock tank to study it. I ended up rotating it in the stock tank almost 180 degrees since my tank is rotated too and I have no problems. The stock tank has a small flat circle area for the pump that would be similar to a cell.