HybridZ

Mount door panels with velcro..

terrya

Was trying to put my drivers side door panel back on today and was having a hard time getting the new clips to stay locked in place. They kept popping out and the mounting holes for them on the panel had seen better days, they were wore out and a few were tore.

I looked over at my shelf and found a roll of 2" wide industrial strength Velcro that I had bought for another project. I cut the pieces to length and placed it on the the door in a u shape, sides and bottom. Left the 2 sides of the velcro stuck together, put the panel up and installed the panel trim parts to ensure proper alignment. The I reached behind the panel and removed the backing form the Velcro. Pressed the panel to the door for a while, and it sticks like a dream.

I was afraid there might be a gap, due to thickness of the velcro. But it is no more noticable then with the clips, maybe even less so, since the whole outside of the panel is stuck instead of just a few points. Looks really good, anyone else try this? I wonder how it will hold up over time, maybe come loose eventually due to heat? Time will tell.

I have used a lot of velcro for other purposes and found especially here on Arizona that the self adhesive gives up. I have used plumbers goop to help the adhesive stay on. Works perfect. It can be cut off if needed. It doesn't dry rock hard but will not come off on its own. Look for it at Home Depot or Lowe's Wallmart etc... About 4-5 dollars. It is a great waterproof glue for lots of things.