HybridZ

new injectors installed. now engine floods real bad

TexasStyle280z

1977 280z

back story.....

the injectors in the car were real bad. tips were cracked and broken and probably clogged up. the engine ran real lean and the fuel pressure was low(20-25 psi)

present time....

i installed new injectors and it fired up the first time and ran for only a few seconds and was unable to get it restatred(however now the fuel pressure is where it should be 36 psi). i investigated and found it to be very flooded( all 6 plugs were wet, heavy smell of gas in the exhaust pipe.)

if i pinch of the fuel line it will start and once i release the fuel line it imidietly floods again.

i have read other threads similiar to this but havent found any with feed back as to the if and how it was fixed.

any ideas would be great.

1977 280z

back story.....

the injectors in the car were real bad. tips were cracked and broken and probably clogged up. the engine ran real lean and the fuel pressure was low(20-25 psi)

present time....

i installed new injectors and it fired up the first time and ran for only a few seconds and was unable to get it restatred(however now the fuel pressure is where it should be 36 psi). i investigated and found it to be very flooded( all 6 plugs were wet, heavy smell of gas in the exhaust pipe.)

if i pinch of the fuel line it will start and once i release the fuel line it imidietly floods again.

i have read other threads similiar to this but havent found any with feed back as to the if and how it was fixed.

any ideas would be great.

Did someone mess with your AFM? Try a fresh set of plugs. Maybe the seventh injector is buggered? Getting spark? Any modifications?

Phil has a good point regarding injectors. But, assuming you got the correct injectors, you can stop the cold start injector by simply wrapping a paper towel around each jaw of a needle nose set of slip lock pliers and carefully clamping it shut.

I don't know of any way to assure that the AFM hasn't been messed with. I would say if it is flooding at idle, try to get it running around in a lot or something and see if it floods cruising around. Regardless, I personally think that the AFM needs adjusted on any car given the age and relative new tech that EFI was whenever your S30 was made.

I just start it up on a fresh set of plugs, let it warm up and then do a few pulls through a gear and then pull it over and shut it off. Check the plugs and adjust. White is lean. You know what rich looks like. :icon10: A light brown is nice. Do it enough and you'll feel where it wants to be. A wideband makes it simpler, of course.

Make sure you are checking all six plugs as well.

Mark

its looking like it may be the new injectors. i got it to run by adjusting the AFM to a very lean setting but it still eventually floods out. when you start the engine the fuel prerssure will go up to the mid 30's and quickly begin dropping, eventually getting to 0 psi( like the pump cant keep up witht the injectors). and the pump in brand new by the way.

ive called the supplier and left a message to see if they sent me the right ones and what the flow rate on them are. can anyone tell me what the flow rate is for stock injectors. ive read that it is 188 cc units, but i was wondering what that was in pounds per hour(that seems to be the rating most place use these days.

thanks for the help so far