HybridZ

Driveshaft/ Propeller shaft

abes

I need some advise...

Guess who installed their new LSD/ T-5 tranny and never checked to make sure the propeller shaft matched the DS???

I was trying to install my driveshaft and found out the hard way that the prop shaft didn't match the tail end of the driveshaft. I guess the p.o. changed it out for whatever reason now I'm stuck..

Which do you think would be the easiest/ cheapest way to solve this little set back having everything installed in the car?

Mind you, I've had everything out of the car for about a year until last week. Go figure..

-change out the prop shaft on the diff.. or

-take the two driveshafts (standard/ T-5) to the shop and have them cut and swap tail pieces?

or any other solutions?

Thanks..

Man, I just went through all this. I swapped a T-5 into an 82 NA, oblivious to the fact that driveshaft wasn't going to match up to the NA companion flange. I ended up going into a driveshaft shop and having them cut the tail off the NA driveshaft and put on the T-5 driveshaft. Cost to me was about $145. They did balance and paint it, but even so...

Turns out that the much simpler thing to do is to just swap the companion flange. That one big nut (think it's a 27mm) in the center is torqued down HARD though. You'll need a decent impact gun, a 3-4" carbon steel extension, and a powerful air compressor to get it off easily. Several things can and likely will happen next. First, if your differential is anything like one of mine was, it's going to barf gear oil out the seal you just uncovered. Probably want to replace that, in any case. Thankfully, the splines on the inward part of the companion flange are the same between the two, so you can just put the new one on and torque down that bigass nut. Technically, I think you're supposed to replace it (I didn't, other posters haven't), but do what you will.

The next thing that happens is that you're going to realize you need a better torque wrench than you probably have. To get the bearing preload juuuust right on the diff, you need to be able to successfully torque to over 200 foot-pounds. I don't remember the exact number, but if you have a Haynes manual or similar, it should tell you. I remember thinking I was okay, but then realizing that the '200' on my torque wrench was newton-meters. So before you start any of that, make sure you have a good enough torque wrench, air compressor, a new oil seal (maybe) and consider a new bigass nut.

Good hunting.

Way to double check your info and then own it humorously;).

Well done!

Sorry about the pre-load..

You know, it's actually fine. I must have read "186 - 216" in the FSM, thought it was ft-lbs, and then mistaken it AGAIN on the torque wrench. I got a chance to check since I've just finished learning that even though they LOOK similar, the automatic and 5 speed driveshafts have different internal diameters, so the splineshaft won't engage. Imagine my surprise when I was able go go 80mph in my driveway with no movement...

Ah, also. abes, you don't need a whole new diff, just the companion flange.

You know, it just occurred to me. I've got the driveshaft I made, but I've got no use for it anymore. I had one Z when I made it, and now I'm swapping the T-5 into my 82 Turbo, and the stock 5 speed back into the NA. If you've got the NA rearend, and the T-5, you could use my driveshaft. I would straight up trade you for either an NA 5-speed driveshaft or an 83 Turbo one, seeing as I eventually need both.

All my Zs are 2+2s, though, and I'm in California, so shipping would be a king's ransom, and I dunno if your Z is a 2+2.