HybridZ

'93 300ZX Possibilities??

240Z8_Dad

Honestly, if you get a half cut you would be better off. With just the engine you still will most likely need to rebuild the turbos and you will also need all the plumbing, inter coolers etc... to do the swap. They are not that bad by any means though. Even with the half cut you need to check the turbos as they are usually not in good shape. Since you are auto I would suggest a 5 speed swap too so you don't have to worry with transmission issues down the road if you decide to start making big power. A TT swap will eat at your wallet if your not careful with your decisions.

Your best bet for a complete swap is to find a a half cut with a 5 speed that way you are well on your way to having everything you need. Then you will need to find a clutch and brake pedal assembly and the all the hard lines of course then you could probably wrap it up from there. Just be careful to inspect everything very well before you install it in the car. Mainly the TURBOs... I have to stress that because they seem to have problems with all the compressor wheel blades being missing.

-Dan

Don't forget all the wiring, ECU's and Emissions crap too. on the otherhand you can use upgraded turbos.. right geoff? This is pretty much what Jeh is doing on Big red, Look for his rebuild on the Abqz site. He's been down a couple months so far, and I don't want to know how much $ he's spent so far rebuilding it. it might be cheaper to find a TT that's not dead... tho anymore most of them are beat to heck..

I have had my 92' 300zx NA for 9 years as my DD, and it's been pretty good so far, tho it's $600 min to fix anything on it. I've experienced the gambit too.

Phar

This car will be my sons if we get it. He turns 15 on 18 Sep. He will have 2 - 3 years to get this car up and running before college.

Ok, here are a few questions:

1. $1000 to buy car. $1200 - $2000 for a TT engine swap from eBay JDM seller.

Included in price

Motor

ECU

Air Conditioning

Transmission M/t

Distributor

Power Steering Pump

Engine Wiring Harness (UNCUT)

Intake Manifold

Brackets and Sensors

Alternator

Cables

Turbos

MAF

2. Does TT engine bolt up to non TT engine mounts?

3. Once engine and trans are in car, turbos rebuilt, what will be needed? I.e. exhaust, wiring?

4. This TT engine comes with ECU. Will we need to do anything to it or just wire up and run?

5. Any more ideas of what we need to look out for?

6. Will this car be worth it in the long run?

7. What about just doing a stock JDM engine, Non TT? Save a few $$

Ok,

$1000 for car

$2000 for TT

$2000 - $3000 for install and other misc.

That’s $6000 for this car. PLUS the rights to for my son to say "Yes, I did it!"

That’s it for now. I hope to get some good responses with these questions to help us with an educated decision.

BTW, as for emissions crap, there are NO inspections here in eastern New Mexico. Knock on wood!

And yes, we are still doing the SBC 240ZV8 IMSA widebody from http://www.zccjdm.com/catalog.php/azcarbum/dt73726/pd1751866/IMSA__REAR_FENDER_FLARES_. They should be here anytime!!!

Dunno why the ebay seller would include a distributor with the engine, seeing as the VG30 in the Z32 doesn't have one.

1. To swap in a DETT, you really want to have a front cut. Concept Z Performance is just a state away from us, and they sell twin turbo front cuts. That way, you get all the parts required.

2. You want Ford insulators, PN 2698 at autozone. They're for a 1989 Ford F150 I6 5.9 liter. They're 5-10mm taller overall, but that doesn't affect anything seriously enough to require modification. The only other thing you need are 4 7/16 nuts, some washers, and a little quality time on the mounts with a file (to get the insulators to fit).

3. exhaust is different between NA and TT, the NA doesn't come with any intake piping that you'll need, and the TT has a two-speed fuel pump controller that you'll need.

4. You probably will need to replace the engine harness, depending on the condition of the one you get. They're still available, fortunately.

5. Compression. Those JDM "deals" aren't exactly known for being the most babied engines on the planet.

6. It's generally accepted in more conservative Nissan forums (like twinturbo.net), that unless you have an inordinate amount of sentimental value in the car (like Jessica Alba gave it to you as a recognition of your sexual prowess), it's cheaper to just buy a TT than to swap.

7. a JDM engine is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get. Probably a better bet to rebuild the motor and get a known good result.

TT or n/a, used motors are risky at best. The imported motors that I've seen look like they never had the oil changed. A common mode of failure on VG30 motors is spun rod bearings , either on high mileage motors or JDM imports.

If you're looking to save some money, have a reliable car, and you're not concerned about having a TT ........ just rebuild the motor you have, or even buy a rebuilt short-block from a reputable builder. I've seen them for $1000 - $1200. Heads can be rebuilt for $600 - $1000. It's a good father / son project.

My son and I are currently building up a TT motor to swap into his '94 slicktop. :)

Well any way you look at it, the shell and rims you've got on that red one is worth the $1000 price tag. A NA swap is pretty much drop in since it's the same engine. What Jeh said about the fron clip is about the best advice I've heard. since the TT swap need not only the intake and exhaust but there's a lot of little oil and vaccuum lines that will need to be swapped too. Really I've been saying look for the swap vids on youtube, there's a couple really good ones.

I couldn't find the one I realy wanted you to see, but here's the first of a set you should watch. good ol boys tho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9Sto0ke3AY

I forgot to mention that the Infiniti VH45DE V-8 fits the car actually quite well! (mocked that engine in the Z-32 as well, and was amazed at well it fit the engine bay!) The only real fitment issue with the VH45 is the tall intake manifold.

VH45DE can be bolted to the Z-32 5 speed with adapter and you now have a nice V-8 powered Z-32.

Q1.jpg

DSCF2136.jpg

Nice install - what Adapter is needed for this conversion

Actually my 1996 300ZX DETT is totally Stock - But I collect Z-Cars and have Six

Check www.oldzcars.com and click on the Engine

- Shows Unit 272 of 300 for a Stock 300ZX DETT

Can't mod this one but there is a Z-32 Donor Car two Blocks away.

Cheers John