HybridZ

exhaust headers...... from a newb

Yes I know this has been betten to death, I searched this site for hours last night about header issues. I just purchased this old 240z drag car as a roller. This car is was so poorly put together, baleing wire and twisted wires with duct tape everywhere. I stripped everythingout and started over rom scratch......

Anyway I drop in my 406 roller motor and find out the the old block hugger headers that came with the car dont fit my RHS angle plug heads. So my search starts for the best header that will fit my heads. The real problem is that all the engine mounts are home made. So most of the post on this subject are a couple years old..... What are the known headers that fit aftermarket (RHS) angle plug, d- shape?

I came up with #DAT-402C as being the best but still not sure if thats the latest, greatest set......

Thanks!

We are running angle plug heads and we use the hooker supercomp headers made for a Zcar. It is a tight fit with angle plug heads so I have had to space the headers out some by double or tripple header to head gaskets and I had to dimple one header tube but it is workable.

We also use a motor plate installed up front and a rear mid-plate. they do not get in the way of headers etc. You can also place the engine where you wnat it. On ours we tried to get the number 1 cylinder lined up to the center of the front wheel.

Hi Tony,

I replied to your PM on this, but thought I'd put it out there for everyone.

I used the Sanderson CC5 (JTR DAT-402 or DAT-402C) D-port headers on my Canfield 215cc angle plug heads. They fit fine, after I removed (used an angle grinder on the welds holding) the nametag that is welded to the collector (see the photo on the page linked above to see the nametag). Without that removed, the steering shaft on my 240Z hit. As it is now, it just barely misses without the nametag.

Note that angle plug heads have different plug placement and angle depending on the brand and model of the head, so YMMV.

Cheers,

if you dont mind tweaking them they will fit, the end of the passengerside collector will need to be pulled towards the center of the car about 1"-1.5". The drivers side will fit aroud the steering shaft and most trans but i had to pull it to clear the clutch slave cylinder witch hangs low and wide right where the exhaust would need to be routed. The trans is a Tremec T56 out of a LT1 Trans Am.

I will try to post some pics tommarow.

http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY-HEADERS-SBC-FORD-32-53-F100-street-rod-hot_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem4399e160cdQQitemZ290344493261QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories