HybridZ

just a quick question

zero

Wiring harness, doors, and reenforced frame(unibody) plus the above. There is quite a bit more wiring used in the late model Z to meet both safty and smog laws. The doors have heavier beams in them, and there is reenforcements in the sub frames for the bigger bumpers. There is also a frame rail that runs the whole way back the floor that my early one dosn't have.

I keep tossing around buying the title to a rusty 240Z and swapping over the Vin#'s and stuff to a 280 roller--not very legal, but a 280Z would actually be the car of choice for me--they are stronger, cheaper, and generally in better condition. Oh well, I'll keep lookin'.

Davy

In the JTR book in chapter 17 page 1 he breaks down weight difference between 240 and 280. The 520lb. difference was 175lbs. bumpers, air conditioning 60lbs.; as Staledale mentioned doorbeams; electric fuel pump 5 lbs.; rear anti sway bar 10 lbs.; R-200 diff. 16lb.; 3 row radiator, cat converter & heat sheilds 25lbs, Fuel injection,more sound deadening, fuel line insulation,vapor recovery systum.................I agree with Davy; pretty much improvements for the better. Stuff you don't need you can remove, like the bumpers, vapor stuff. Also you save work by not having to install a R-200 rear end, electric fuel pump, Fuel injection friendly fuel tank :D

so basically if i plan on making a v8z, the 280 would be the best choice and would work with less strengthening of the frame, if any. also one more question, if i have a 280z do i have to be smog legal, because i know with a 240 it predates the laws and you can be as dirty as you want. thanks alot

I personally kinda favor a 280Z for a Hybrid because of all of the above reasons. Regarding your 2nd question. You do have to abide with the smog emission regulations enacted during the year of your car. So a 70 240z has less smog stuff required as compared to a 78 280z. tongue.gif