HybridZ

'76 280z - Cranks, but no spark

I picked up a 280z about three months ago, ran perfectly fine and had a 5 speed installed. But just a few weeks ago its just stopped sparking.

Before that it made that traditional solenoid clicking sound problem and didn't want to start until you tried again a few minutes later.

I've unplugged and plugged back in all the spark plugs (wires are new). It cranks and is getting fuel, I can smell it from the exhaust, but just no spark. Battery is good too.

So I've sort of come to the conclusion that its either the:

distributor

ignition switch

starter relay

bad wire?

aftermarket alarm (that came in the car, looks like a hack job)

This is my first z, and the last project car I had was a 240sx, so bare with me if I still haven't got a clue on where to locate certain spots on this car.

I work two jobs and go to school so I only have time to work on one of these a week, so I want to figure out what I should do first? I know I'm probably going to have to over all of these, but I'm hoping to save time on some opinions or any other ideas on why its not sparking?

Where should I start first?

• 2 weeks later...

Don't assume that because you smell gas from the exhaust that you are getting enough fuel in the engine. Its not starting, so even a little fuel gives a lot of smell, I agree with woldson, check for spark by pulling a plug... matter of fact pull all the plugs, they may at the very LEAST need a good cleaning. Check cap and rotor condition. Check for spark at the coil... OH, and go download the FSM, its got troubleshooting section that will do you wonders.

I understand you have little time... but if you want the car bad enough, you'll find the time.

I already tested it before to see if there was any spark.

I fixed the problem and i have it running now. The problem was the alarm system. I spent this past weekend pulling out the harness, checked for fried/disconnected wiring, and removed the alarm system. Plugged everything back in and she fired up on the first start.