HybridZ

L28+ET Parts list

I typed "turbo sticky" into the search tab and it was like the 5th result. Im not kidding.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=99620&highlight=turbo+sticky

I just typed in turbo L28 and it didnt come up, I guess I just fail. thanks. I looked over the add, but what I was looking for was the turbo manifold and things like that to go on the 280z L28 motor, not a full engine swap.

im smokin crack, sorry. i typed it in again. User fail :windows:

Ive ordered a complete RB20DET and 5speed RWD transmission and uncut wiring harness for my 280z, and I will be building a ZXT motor for a 280z 2+2 that will be a street car. (2+2 just for the unique factor)

Guest Rolling Parts

Your parts list will depend on just WHAT your project is.

Are you going stock ECU or are you going with something like Megaquirt?

The parts list is way different if you build your own ECU and control system.

If you're going all stock then it's cheaper to get the whole L28ET and harness instead of trying to buy an AFM here and a manifold there and and ECU somewhere else (and then find that the 81 ECU won't work with the 83 distributor you picked up).

Personally I feel that the electronics are just getting too old for a successful traditiona transplant. After close to 30 years the sensors and wiring and injectors you find these days are just about junk. If you have some time for a full project I'd suggest building up a second engine while keep driving the N/A Z. Get a used L28ET and put it on a stand. Go through it with new seals, injectors, overhaul the turbo, and build your own EFI system (like MSII with EDIS ignition). When you get it all freshened up and wired THEN you can make the full swap in just a weekend.

Just a thought...

Your parts list will depend on just WHAT your project is.

Are you going stock ECU or are you going with something like Megaquirt?

The parts list is way different if you build your own ECU and control system.

If you're going all stock then it's cheaper to get the whole L28ET and harness instead of trying to buy an AFM here and a manifold there and and ECU somewhere else (and then find that the 81 ECU won't work with the 83 distributor you picked up).

Personally I feel that the electronics are just getting too old for a successful traditiona transplant. After close to 30 years the sensors and wiring and injectors you find these days are just about junk. If you have some time for a full project I'd suggest building up a second engine while keep driving the N/A Z. Get a used L28ET and put it on a stand. Go through it with new seals, injectors, overhaul the turbo, and build your own EFI system (like MSII with EDIS ignition). When you get it all freshened up and wired THEN you can make the full swap in just a weekend.

Just a thought...

Obviously if he doesnt know what physical parts he needs for a turbo engine how is he going to set up megasquirt??

And from my experience pulling 3 engines, buying/selling several wiring harnesses, and looking at the one on my 78, many wiring harnesses are very much usable for a "successful tradiational transplant." Things like the injector plugs, head temp sensor are all easily replaced, plus many of the other plugs are large enough that they usually arent broken.

Guest Rolling Parts
Obviously if he doesnt know what physical parts he needs for a turbo engine how is he going to set up megasquirt??

Precisely.

He can go very wrong unless he researches which way to go.

Turbo engines and harnesses are more rare and more abused that the myriad of N/A engines. The reason people bought a turbo engine is TO DRIVE THE PISS OUT OF IT. The last 3 turbo engines I've done in the last few years have reflected that. High heat, high stress, worn turbos.

Also, the tubo ECU is much much more fragile that the bullet proof N/A engines especially since the later ones control the injector flyback as well as drive the the ignition advance. Tie that into the flaky 82-83 dizzy and ignitor and there ARE a lot more interesting gotchas than the N/A setup (but then were talking about used turbo setups).

There are dozens of ways to go (even a carb). He'll need to DEFINE the project a little more than just asking about a turbo...

That's why I didn't include anything about EFI specifically in the 'write-up.'

If they have to ask about MegaSquirt, they don't want it bad enough :)

...or probably shouldn't be doing the swap because it requires alot of knowledge that can't be spoonfed as every setup is unique to some extent.

If you can't even locate the Turbocharger or MegaSquirt/other EFI section of Hybrid Z then you need to go back to working on Hondars. It's been said a billion times before, this site isn't for teaching newbs how to work on cars but rather enhancing the performance of the early Z cars.

The N/A to Turbo swap is really easy to do if you know what is going on, but I wrote that thread as a jumping off point for new-to-Z guys who wanted all the information in one place, that way instead of saying "Go Search" we can just say 'Go read this or the stickies."

Guest Rolling Parts

...or probably shouldn't be doing the swap because it requires alot of knowledge that can't be spoonfed as every setup is unique to some extent.

"

Agree 100%

This is a Hybrid Z site so basically ANYTHING goes so just asking about a "turbo" is about like going to a gardening site and asking "how do I grow pretty flowers". A little study and a little specificity goes a long way in narrowing down the options.

I meant no offense to anyone; I'm just not going to assume what he wanted to do (stock, non-stock, power wanted, easiness, time frame, budget, expertise, familiarity, etc). I have a 4bbl T3/4 L28 on the engine stand right now and just finished a MSII/EDIS T3 turbo and those are both different animals than what most people might wanna play with....

Ive done megasquirt before, I have other people besides myself to do the work on the car. I work with a shop, Im not as unintelligent as you think. I just needed the parts list to check over, I know most of the things you need but I did not know which valves were needed and what not.

and as far as megasquirting the new engine, I AM NOT going to, im going to keep it simple for my first time doing a more relaxed build/swap. I have located a few Low mileage 280zxt engines that regardless of the owners claims will be broke down and re-sealed/gasketed and rebuilt. as mentioned above, people buy turbo engines to drive the piss out of them. Nuff said. Rolling Parts made a good point and Ive decided to do that. Im building a 280xt on a stand and taking it out to my local shop electrical rebuilds and upgrades. *no megasquirting yet* Ill let the experts do that if I go with it. Thanks for the help however. Hope your swap goes well Rolling parts, flat black im aware of the search button last week I was rather incompitent to say the least. once again thanks for the help HybridZ folks. have a nice day.