HybridZ

Sky high oil pressure

josephg

So I acquired a 77 with a ford 302. Who ever did the swap did good work buy the guy he sold it to was a real piece of work. years of neglect have left me with a few problems but I am pretty into this project so I am gonna see it through. I just got a major water pump and serpentine belt issue figure out but all of a sudden I am having oil pressure issues.

To be honest I am not sure if this was a problem before and I just noticed it now or if it was messed up since I got the car. Regardless when I start the car the oil pressure gauge is pegged at idol.

When I got the car the dipstick guide was loose so I installed a new one. the old dipstick (who knows how accurate that was) said it had an appropriate and amount of oil so I cut lines on the new dipstick to reflect that. What I am getting at is I dont think it has too much oil. But what else could it be? I dont even want to start it right now cuz I am scared i am gonna blow all the seals.

I have been a auto body tech for about ten years and I am a little out of my element when it comes to the hard core mechanical stuff.

Please help, I dont even know where to start with this one.

Ah yes the sending unit... the one that is on the motor now looks to be about 30 years old so that could be it... is there any way to check it.... or just buy a new one and see what happens. I am really sketchy about starting it up cuz if the pressure really is that high I dont want to blow up my motor...

should I be so concerned about damaging my motor?

I am gonna try changing my sending unit and see what happens I will post my progress

Sounds more like a bad sending unit. When I first installed my LT1 I also installed a brand new oil sending unit which turned out to be bad! Bad sender can pug the gauge. Get a cheap mechanicl guage and plug that into your engine.

that is a good option!

but "plug it in" where?

I haven't worked on a Ford for years. But most mechanical guages come with tubing and several fittings. You should be able to screw it into the same place the stock on goes.

Every bad sender (oil, fuel, temp) I have seen causes your gauge to pug.

BTW if you remove the wire off the sending unit your gauge should pug with thee key on (not running), if you touch that wire to ground it should go to "0". That will tell you if the gause is working.

that is a good option!

but "plug it in" where?

Hay thanks every body for your input! I changed the sender and all seems well it still a little high (it rides the middle of the gauge) but I am not worried about that. I might still get a cheap mechanical gauge just to be positive of what it actually is.

The rule of thumb seams to be about 10 psi for every 1000 rpm,

is that right?