HybridZ

Considering chevy v8 swap

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just got an 81 280zx and im thinking of doing the chevy 350 swap. is there anything i should know from anyone thats done this swap before? I'm also curious on the performance difference there is between the v8 and the 6 cylinder already in it.

Let's just say you'll be shocked! There are nearly no similarities between the characteristics of the two motors. The Chevy just has a lot of good low end grunt and kicks some serious tail in a Z.

This has been successfully done before by a number of members on the forum. First off, buy the JTR book and read it--the book applies to the 1st gen cars, but it will give you a good outline and graphic illustration about what is involved with the swap.

Next, use the search function and find threads with Ross Corrigan's posts--he has a pretty wicked 280ZX V8 conversion. The search function is the best way to learn about this stuff--all the good info is archived.

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Davy

do it, but make sure its what you really want, davy can tell you that its a lot of work to get it rolling.the zx is actually a really good swap candidate, tougher suspension, already has the good rearend, more insulation, and newer-less rust!!!!

Leonard

RADTAD

I'm in the process of finishing an 83 conversion. I posted some lessons learned on 27 June that may be of some help. There are several ZX guys on the forum who know a whole lot more than I do, but I would be happy to offer and help I can..