HybridZ

Cleaned fuel tank, but not getting fuel?

SoCalJack

Ok so when I first got my 72 240z, I had to change the fuel filters every two days. So I decided to clean out the gas tank. It is a short term fix until I can put in a fuel cell. I pulled a ton of nasty stuff out of the tank, including about 1sqft of what looked like used to be the tank liner. Reinstalled tank, but now I am not getting fuel. The pump is a universal electric pump. It works well, I pulled it off and cleaned it out as well. I can turn the fuel pump on and I took the fuel filter off and I can hear the gas 'gurgling' in the line, gas barely spalshes out sometimes. If I cover the line with my finger I can feel the pump building pressure, but no gas....

There is about 7-8 gallons of fresh gas in the tank.

Could I have messed something up in the tank. I checked and none of the hoses are crimped.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I just took the line from the tank to the pump (the outlet on the bottom of the two facing the front, correct me if Im wrong) and nothing came out. I took the gas cap off and can blow in the line and feel it coming out the filler neck. Im not sure whats going on. Help

Same here.

In fact I did a bit of a custom job on the fuel pump.

I took off the top plate, de-varnished all the gears and dowels and surfaces using 600 and then 1200 grit sandpaper, cleaned it out with some brake clean that was non-chlorinated and safe for use on rubber parts...

I tried using a large screw and driving it into the filter screen to use as a grip to pull it out, but it would not budge, so I blew it out from the inside with 60psi of air and some brake clean.

then since the o-ring is a tear drop shape, you either have to get it from nissan, or you can buy a suitable sized round o-ring and heat it up slightly with a lighter and pinch and stretch it carefully into shape.... which is what i did.

Then put a touch of grease in the o-ring groove, and lay the o-ring in and close the fuel pump using new stainless bolts and lock washers.

After doing that the car started for the first time in what I was told was 25 years.

Edited by Careless

Well it is definitely something wrong with the tank. I took the line to the pump from the tank, and put the end in a jug of gas and the fuel filter filled up fast. So it has to be something in the tank. Looks like Im spending another weekend with my beloved gas tank....

I wish I had more time to work on the car. School sucks

So, when I used a chain with a bunch of nuts and bolts to clean the tank I tweaked the outlet. There is a tube going into the tank that allows for the pump to pick up fuel on the bottom of the tank. Well apparently I bent it up too much and it was barely picking up fuel, hence the gurgling of the pump.

Lesson: if you are going to use a chain to clean your tank, make sure you dont mess with the tubing or make sure you fix it before the tank goes back in.

Damn, it only took me an hour to take the tank out, figure out what was wrong, fix it, and put it back in. I am awesome! :mrgreen:

Thank you to all that helped!

For other people who find this thread looking for tank advice here is some info that took me a good while of searching on the net to find. Since you pulled out about a square foot of old liner out of your tank there is a good chance that the rest of the stuff is flaking off and plugging things up.

Go to lowes/homedepot, and in the paint section buy 2 gallons of MEK (about 22$ each) and slosh that stuff around to dissolve the old liner. While your there you might want to get some rust preventer with phosphoric acid. Word of WARNING MEK is Extremely flammable, so be careful with it.

After cleaning up the tank you may want to reline it with a higher quality liner, I have heard good stuff about "Red Cote" you can still pick it up at oreillys for about 20$ a can, you will need 2 cans.

I know alot of the older guys that give advice about cleaning your tank would say to take it to a radiator shop and have them boil it out for you... now that is good advice, But nowhere in my area was there a rad shop that still did that.