HybridZ

Quaife problems

coolbeans

I've got a problem with my rearend i'm not sure of, I've got a 75 280z with an r200. I ordered a quaife for it and took it to a shop for install. They replaced all the seals and I believe he ordered shims. After driving it for a couple hundred miles the rearend has some slop. I jacked the car up and turned the wheels and there is quite a bit of slop between the wheel spin and the driveline spin. It became noticable through clunking when clutching. I'm not sure if it was not setup properly or if something else might be the issue? any help will be appriciated.

Thanks

Also be aware that if you're turning the pinion and expecting to see the output shafts turn and thinking that the backlash is supposed to be .005 to .008 so the pinion shouldn't hardly move, that's wrong. People always turn the driveshaft and see how much movement there is and then think that backlash is the cause of their clunk noise, but it isn't. It's normal to get about 1/4" of movement in an open carrier, and it might even be normal to get MORE than that with a Quaife because you have to get all the gears inside up against the case before the pinion shaft will move.

If it isn't making noises or having some other problem the slop is probably normal.

Quaife's are a great diff, but they have more internal movement that say a clutch diff. It's pretty normal for mine to make some clunks.

It might be a good idea to drain some oil and see if it shows any metal, and check the front diff mount too.

jt