HybridZ

Aluminum radiator-To BE or Not To BE......

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

After reading all of your wonderful and interesting ideas about radiators and some- how related topics-I still can't seem to find

the answer. I have a JTR camaro radiator

in my hand and can't see how it's going to cool my 300HP 250 GTO Chevy 350/Z kit car.

I run approx 200-210 on a warm day-won't drive it on a HOT day. I recently pulled out

the air-conditioning(don't yell at me-I'm saving it) and the condensor hoping it would allow more air flow into the radiator.Don't need air here in the high Sierra's. I have an older 4 core in there now(needs rebuild for $400-$500 -OUCH). Need some brain storming-the car is a weekend driver.I also have and electric fan and engine driven aluminum FIRM fan for increased air flow.

Thanks------------Robert icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif

What's your electric fan (cfm)and how is it mounted? do you have an effective shroud for it?

I had NO luck with the JTR camaro core (tried it for a few months)but have had ONLY success with my griffin.....I run zero shroud on my griffin so I can improve upon it but their's been no need to date to do so......(not tooo hot up here). Although the constant higher rpm's of roadracing it still tolerated very nicely including a trip in California.

Guest Anonymous

Not sure of the CFM-bought the car from someone else-It looks like a Derale fan from

Summit Racing-approx 16"-2175 cfm. Can't find any name on it. It is turning the right way also. I'd rather spend the money up front with Griffin instead of replacing the radiator in a couple of months. icon_sad.gif

Could you give me a ball park figure of how much and what type of Griffin radiator you

purchased ?? Was it custom?? Do you have a kit car Z that it went in to? What dimensions

did you use?? Sorry for all the questions but I'd rather be humble and stupid instead

of narcistic and BROKE. Much Appreciated...

Robert

Robert, the Camaro radiator cools a larger, heavier car, right? I would think that if you had an adequate fan and shrouding, there should be no cooling issues. I know that the high altitude does some funny things to boiling points, but the guys in hot AZ and here in the Bay Area run their cars easily with similar radiators or even (gasp) stock Datsun units! The key really seems to be the amount of air passing through the radiator, whether or not it does the job.

I bought a Camaro unit and have a Taurus fan that I will use. I have seen Z's running with less than that, so I know this will work. If you already have the Camaro unit, why not try it? Just be sure your shroud seals around the outer edges and I'm pretty sure you'll be ok.

If you do decide that a Griffin or a Howe radiator is for you, look on Lonehdrider's site or BLKMGK's site--I think they have that info there. Otherwise, use the search function again, because I know BLKMGK discussed this quite a bit in the past 2 months. HTH

Davy

Guest Anonymous

I should have a picture of the Howe mounted within a week or so, Jim (Blkmgk) already has a picture on his site I believe. Griffin or Howe, your size will probably need to be 19 x 24". The frame rails measure something like 25 3/8 or something close to that and doesn't fit a 26". (I'm not sure if they vary, but Mikelly has a 19 x 26 on his car, but it would never fit in mine.). I'm running the Taurus fan as well, Jim has a Mustang GT fan if memory serves.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Davy-are you running a V-8 in your machine??

I sure hate to waste money on this camaro radiator if it's not going to solve the problem. Timing is ok and i've leaned out

the mixture. I may try and divert ALL the air coming in my scoops/vents with some aluminum into the radiator to see if that helps. Thanks for the tidbits-they help.

Robert

i think that the maro radiator might solve it, but beware, most of the time you have problems, dont blame the radiator, thats like the old addage-dont blame your carb for everything. im the jerk who runs a v8z with the stock datsun unit, with no problems until stop and go traffic, but that is probably because i run a non-clutch type fan, that runs consistent with rpm. how is the shroud setup, that may be it, thermostat? i run a 160 and usually dont go over 180 when im gunning it on a warm day.

the maro radiator looks really cool, its paper thin, but it cools a big, fat hairy car just fine. but again, before you go through with a radiator swap, make sure its your problem first.

Leonard

"thats right, a stock radiator"

Guest Anonymous

Not that it doesn't work as its been proven to, but just a correction, the radiator in question (camaro) was designed for a 4 cyl and V6 applications in a Camaro. Its probably way over built for that application, but suitable for the V8's. I also suspect the more air you can move through it the less problems of overheating you'll have. There are probably other suitable OEM radiators that will fit also, just have to pound the wrecking yards to make the discovery!

Regards,

Lone

My project is not finished yet--so I can't say for sure--but I've been around enough of these cars to know what should work well. That's why I did not hesitate to buy the JTR recommended radiator and go with the Taurus fan.

I'm convinced the whole thing comes down to airflow of you have a decent radiator--shoot, I know of someone (no names icon_smile.gif) who used the tranny cooler for a while with no ill effects. The Camaro unit should do better than that, yes?

If you have the unit, use it! If you don't, get a Howe or a Griffin--you can't really go wrong with them IMO.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Agreed Davy, I hope I didn't imply the Camaro radiator isn't good, or shouldn't be used. Far from it, fact is when I did my swap I had my Chevy dismantler show me at least 5 versions of the Camaro radiator, and on the last try he was 'sure' it would fit, nope to wide. I would have used it had I found one thats for sure. In the mean time I've been using the stocker and even it with enough air through it has been mostly adequate although it gets a bit hot here for using it. That said I've no doubt the Camaro one would work great by comparison.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the responses. I'm running a 160 degree HP thermostat. The shroud has an additional add-on piece as recommended in the JTR book. Do you think by deleting the condensor the air flow may improve. Also,that big electric fan in front of the radiator blocks alot of the air coming into the radiator-do you think that could be a factor. The car heats up fast and I never will have to worry about getting cold. I contacted Griffin about a custom radiator-waiting for a price-hope I don't go into

hypovolemic shock or cardiac arrest.

Robert icon_eek.gif

Just for what it is worth I am using a 1986 camaro radiator in my 1979 chevy 4x4 pickup with 454 rat motor with the camper on and pulling the 19 foot bay liner boat I never get over 200 degrees the weekend before last it was 104 degrees out side no problimb. I bought it from 1-888-radiator and it only cost $143.00 including shipping. Just for what it is worth my 2 cents

Jon Peterson

maybe the fan outside the radiator is your issue then, but i dont know, maybe its where youre located thats giving you these issues, luckily for me, the weather is quite cool on the usual and doenst even really get that hot on the weekends, blessed icon_razz.gif

The fan OUTSIDE the radiator is ABSOLUTELY blocking airflow. I'd take it off and drive the car around for a short 15 minute trip and see what happens... With the shroud and a 7 blade haden flex fan, I was able to keep mine to about 180 degrees in rush hour traffic. I've had several guys say that the Griffen wouldn't work in a 26 inch wide setup, so if you order one, get the 24 inch unit, and go with the 1 1/4 inch tubing. They sell for less than $200 all day long!

Mike

Robert,

before you go spending any money or doing something radical, check some of the obvious things that could contribute to the problem. Timing, Radiator cap, water pump, loose belt, faulty thermostat, blockage in the radiator or block. The Camaro rad should work but is more efficient with a shroud. The Griffin works, but I would hate to see you switch if there was another problem.

As for placing things in front of the radiator, no doubt anything in front could potentially cause blockage but here is living proof of how good the Griffin is. Notice there is a big oil cooler, trans cooler and, ahem, a fair sized I/C, ALL not only blocking the air to the radiator, but heating it up. In the FL 90+* & 90+% humidity, I rarely go over 185*. I run a 160* thermostat, 10+% anti-freeze, a bottle each of WaterWetter and RMI-25. I use a 16" shrouded electric fan from origins unknown that I got from the boneyard.

$188 shipped, one of the best bargains out there.

new-ic.jpg

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: Scottie-GNZ ]

I'd suggest looking at the Taurus and Mustang radiators. The Cobra fan I've got required some trimming to fit and some custom mounts but it ROX! I feel a breeze at the back of th ecar when it comes on and it will suck paper to the front of the radiator easily.

Total cost was about $30 tops for this puppy icon_smile.gif